Need advice / help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

internoftheyear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - thank you in advance for reading this.

I am an R1 in Rad Onc at a mid-tier program in a good location. My problem is that I'm very unhappy at my program - to the point where I'm considering leaving . . . I feel somewhat abused on a daily basis and my learning and well-being are suffering.

I like the specialty - the patients, oncology, physics, treatment planning, etc. I enjoy taking care of my patients and try to go above and beyond in terms of patient care. I have an engineering background, so all and all, I think the specialty is a good fit.

I would like to know, what are my options? Is transferring a possibility? Is re-applying via the match an option? If so, should I finish this year or take a leave now? (I would stay until the schedule was worked out of course - no intention of screwing over my co-residents).

I would much appreciate any good ideas or advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds horrible.

Problem is, you'll need someone from your program to vouch for you if you transfer (chairman or program director). I'm not getting the impression they have a favorable view of you. I think when a spouse is in a different city or family issues arise, people are open to transfer. If its a situation like this, it's more or less "he says/she says", and its hard for an accepting program to garner whether the resident is the problem or the faculty is.

I think getting through it is (though difficult) probably the best answer. Get some counseling, maybe some time off would help, consider taking up a very time-consuming hobby (sailing, running, meth), and just realize you have 3 years til parole.

-S

i tend to disagree; i do not think you need your program to vouch for you; usually your resume/cv speaks for itself; that being said, it depends on the program you are transferring too.

i would send out emails to programs, and the rrc/acmge to see where new positions might be forming. check arro/astro for updates as well. its not worth sticking around if you are unhappy...its just going to get worse.

Sounds horrible.

Problem is, you'll need someone from your program to vouch for you if you transfer (chairman or program director). I'm not getting the impression they have a favorable view of you. I think when a spouse is in a different city or family issues arise, people are open to transfer. If its a situation like this, it's more or less "he says/she says", and its hard for an accepting program to garner whether the resident is the problem or the faculty is.

I think getting through it is (though difficult) probably the best answer. Get some counseling, maybe some time off would help, consider taking up a very time-consuming hobby (sailing, running, meth), and just realize you have 3 years til parole.

-S

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for the advice. despite my unhappiness, I think the program still has a favorable impression of me (or at least neutral). I don't know if they would help me / vouch for me, but its possible.

I think part of it is a difference in learning /teaching style and this program just isn't a good fit.

what about the possibility of re-applying in the match? what happens if I finish my R1 year? can I re-apply and repeat a year or can you only be a PGY-2 in the same specialty once? (not that I look forward to doing an extra year, but it might be worth considering).

so far I haven't heard of any program openings? has anyone else?

thank you.

you cannot reapply through the match.
you can, however, start wherever you leave off at a new progam.

the matter usually comes down to getting your funding released.

please google this or search this and other forums for more information.

good luck

thank you for the advice. despite my unhappiness, I think the program still has a favorable impression of me (or at least neutral). I don't know if they would help me / vouch for me, but its possible.

I think part of it is a difference in learning /teaching style and this program just isn't a good fit.

what about the possibility of re-applying in the match? what happens if I finish my R1 year? can I re-apply and repeat a year or can you only be a PGY-2 in the same specialty once? (not that I look forward to doing an extra year, but it might be worth considering).

so far I haven't heard of any program openings? has anyone else?

thank you.

i tend to disagree; i do not think you need your program to vouch for you; usually your resume/cv speaks for itself; that being said, it depends on the program you are transferring too.

You must have your program vouch for you. No self-respecting program will take a transfer resident without having some kind of validation of merit from your current program director. It doesn't mean that you have to advertise beforehand that you are looking to transfer. You can even interview discreetly, but you do eventually have to talk to your current director about writing a letter for you. I would think most directors would write a nice letter even if they are not completely happy with you.

I would also recommend that you come up with a socially and politically acceptable reason why you are looking to transfer. Disingenuous though it may be, don't tell your interviewer that you are not happy at your current program because they are mean to you. That raises a red flag that you may be a malcontent anywhere you go.

Good luck! Don't give up being a radiation oncologist because of this little bump. You will just laugh about it in 4 years. This truly is an awesome field.

Last edited:
thanks again for all your advice.

I looked into the issue of funding that was raised (I hadn't thought about this before . . .) My understanding is that my "funding clock" is set at a max of 4 years.

so, after my PGY2 year, I will have 3 years left of funding - is that right? or will I only have 2 years left since I did a medicine prelim year?

In any case, unless I switch into a PGY3 position next year, my length of training will exceed my funding I think . . .

I guess this is why I can't apply again in the match? What happens if I don't complete my PGY2 year in terms of funding and applying to the match?? Is it better to finish the PGY2 year or leave early if I want to change programs or specialty?

so confusing . . . lots of questions . . . thanks again everyone. any insight is much appreciated.

you need to stay at your current program, do not quit. i think it would look really bad on your resume if other rad onc programs saw that you quit a program. if nothing else, you are going to mess up the schedule at your current program and the other residents will have to pick up the slack, and will just make everyone angry all around, that would be my guess,

i agree that you cannot go through the match. programs only take pgy-2 residents into rad onc from there 1 year in advance. the astro/arro website often has postings for upper year residents. i know this website had a few postings earlier this year advertising for upper year residents outside the match. you should also just pan email a lot of programs. a lot of the time, programs get approvals to expand the number of residents, and they are sort of passively willing to consider people, but might not be actively searching. i know my med school took a transfer pgy-3, and my current program took a pgy-2 outside the match this year. you do not need your program's support now, but once you start interviewing, they will definitely want to talk to your program.

Last edited: