Need advice!!!!!!Just bomb my DAT

Started by angeleyes
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

angeleyes

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I just first want to thank everyone on this forum who took the time to share their experiences and opinions with all of us newbies.

Second, I have something I?d like to ask everyone. I took the DAT yesterday and here are my scores:

Academic Avg: 17
PAT: 14
Math: 13
Reading: 19
Bio: 17
Gen Chem: 16
O Chem : 19
Total Science: 18

Here are the schools that I am applying for:

University of Southern California
Nova Southeastern University
Indiana University
Boston University
Tufts University
Creighton University
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
New York University
Case Western Reserve University
University of Pennsylvania
Temple University
Marquette University

My background is that I already have a degree in MIS/Marketing from a local school in CA. I worked for a awhile and got laid off. I decided that I would take the challenge of applying to dental school. I took two months to prepare for the DAT and used everything I can think of to help prepare(Kaplan, Barron?s, and AcetheDAT). My questions are as follows:

1. Can anyone tell me honestly what my chances are with the schools I have applied to. I heard from some that certain schools don?t really care about the PAT. Can anyone shed any light on this?

2. I submitted my addsas app on June 30 already but have not sent my application fees to the schools yet. Should I send it to them anyway with these scores? (Not CA schools, I know)

After everything I have done up to this point, I don?t want to give up yet. After the exam yesterday, I felt like a total failure. I have already scheduled to retake the exam again in October but I don?t know if I am kidding myself.

I want to thank you all for sharing your honest thoughts with me. You guys have provided me personally with so much support throughout this whole ordeal.

Angeleyes
 
Hi Angeleyes - welcome to SDN.

First off, I don't think you totally bombed the DAT. Second, it takes a lot of courage to post your scores - regardless of the numbers. It's a brave person that is willing to expose themselves and ask for advice, so kudos. I'll start off with downside of your scores, and that being your PAT. While some schools don't place a great deal of emphasis on the PAT, that 14 is somewhat of a low score. Your AA of 17, though slightly lower than most dental matriculate rates, is not completely under the radar. Likewise about your 18 TS, which is good. If you are less than confident about your performance in the upcoming cycle then I would register to take the DAT again so that you can start to prepare for it and get the new scores to the adcoms before winter.

You do have a nice list of schools. The only schools that I see for the moment that might take issue with your scores are U Penn and possibly USC - but by all means apply to those schools and let them make that decision. If your science gpa is solid and you have spent time writing a thorough and thoughtful personal statement the I don't think your DAT scores are as detrimental as you believe. Speaking of gpa, what are your science and overall gpa's?

By all means send in your fees and complete this application cycle. A guy I went to school with last year took the DAT in October and received a 17AA and a low PAT score. He hit the books even harder and scored a 22AA when he retook it in January, had the new scores sent out, and though he was rather late, had some interviews and now is starting dental school at UoP this fall. A lot of us thought he was doomed for this cycle, though I am happy to say he wasn't. I mention this to you because I don't think you are as lost as you think you are. The worst case scenario is that you retake the DAT and are a little behind some of the other applicants. Hang in there and post your progress. Best of luck!
 
I would say Sprgrover is right...Your stats are ok... Just take the DAT again and ace it the 2nd time. You could always use the 2nd time to your advantage and focus more on your weak areas. But cheer up you can do it! Just stay focus! 🙂
 
Invest in the Tospscore CD if you are going to retake it. Perhaps give us some info about your GPA and activities and that may help us give better advice as to whether or not to retake it. Good luck with everything!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
umc27 said:
Invest in the Tospscore CD if you are going to retake it. Perhaps give us some info about your GPA and activities and that may help us give better advice as to whether or not to retake it. Good luck with everything!


Topscore is good. Definately retake the DAT. Sorry to tell you, but I don't think you will get in any california schools with those scores. I received a 17 on the PAT, and UOP told me to take it over. You should concentrate on raising you PAT to at least a 18 if not 19 to be safe.

Good luck.
 
what was your study strategy, how long did you study? From what i've seen on this forum, anything is possible if you're persistant. Keep a positive attitude and i'm sure everything will work out for you!
 
Thank you for the encouragement and the replies. It has given me a lot of comfort and I really appreciate that.

To reply to UMC27's question "Perhaps give us some info about your GPA and activities and that may help us give better advice as to whether or not to retake it."

I read somewhere that when applying to dental schools, it helps to let them know that you are a unique individual. For example, a guy included the fact that he was a classical pianist and they really liked that. So to answer the question about my GPA and background, here it is:

Science GPA: 3.9
Cummulative undergrad GPA: 3.5

I was not sure if this helps in the eyes of dental schools but my activities include: runner up in pageant, ots of work experience including network engineer at fortune 500 company, start up, optometry office, and a manicurist for a long time. I thought the manicurist thing would help me prove that I have decent manual dexterity. As for activities, I volunteer at the local red cross, shadowed a dentist for a year, and involved with a few shelters locally.

So now that you guys know my scores, GPA, and background, what do you think about the current situation?

Thanks for taking the time to give me your frank opinions.

angeleyes
 
Your gpa is wonderful and you do have some good volunteer and real-world business experience that makes you stand out. If you feel you are up to it, then I would still retake the DAT and by all means continue with the application cycle.
 
Sounds like you're an outstanding applicant, and the only thing holding back your application is your DAT score. But again, I'm not on any adcoms, so I'm not the most qualified person to ask for advice as to whether or not to retake the exam. However, if you think you can do better, and you have the time to devote to studying, then I'd reccomend it.

If you want any studying tips, Dr. Taco Elf, Sprgrover, and myself, along with many others, all did well on the DAT and made lengthy posts as to how we studied and our impressions of the test. I'll look for these, and send you the links. Keep us informed.