Need advice-Late application/OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dee24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was looking for some advice on my current situation. Im scheduled to write my OAT Dec 29th and i have only started to study about a week ago. I have procrastinated for way too long and now i have to deal with the consequences. I have nothing else on my plate for the moment, so i have been studying everyday, nonstop for about 10hrs/day and im basing my studying primarily from the big kaplan book. First off, do you think its possible to learn all the material i will need to know in this short period of time? I've read that its beneficial to have everything submitted before the 31st of December, but would it be better to take some additional time to study and write the exam mid January? How would this affect my chances of getting in, considering my LOW gpa (3.2). I should have all my applications submitted by Dec 31st as well. On a side note, im thinking of purchasing either the Topscore CD or oat achiever.. which one would you guys recommend?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, i was looking for some advice on my current situation. Im scheduled to write my OAT Dec 29th and i have only started to study about a week ago. I have procrastinated for way too long and now i have to deal with the consequences. I have nothing else on my plate for the moment, so i have been studying everyday, nonstop for about 10hrs/day and im basing my studying primarily from the big kaplan book. First off, do you think its possible to learn all the material i will need to know in this short period of time? I've read that its beneficial to have everything submitted before the 31st of December, but would it be better to take some additional time to study and write the exam mid January? How would this affect my chances of getting in, considering my LOW gpa (3.2). I should have all my applications submitted by Dec 31st as well. On a side note, im thinking of purchasing either the Topscore CD or oat achiever.. which one would you guys recommend?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
if you're learning things for the first time, it may be a little difficult, but definitely possible. if you're just reviewing, it probably wont even take a week. i had the oat achiever and it worked great.

Well i actually graduated last yr with a Bachelor of Science so im pretty good with the bio aspect but its been forever since ive taken ochem/physics (and i did horrible on them in school) those are going to be my toughest sections for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to at least submit your applications as soon as you can. Apply to multiple schools, maybe even the new ones if just as a safety. I took the Kaplan course, than used the books/online to review again and I did about average.

then focus on those, because they do make up a large portion of your score. physics in my opinion is much easier than the ochems because of fewer concepts, so just figure out a way to get all those formulas and syntheses down and you'll be good.

I started studying about 3 wks before my test date. I, too, graduated last year with BS in biology so bio was fine, I had difficulties with Ochem, Genchem, and Physics. I used Kaplan MCAT book to review the material, and used OAT destroyer, Topscore, and small Kaplan book for practice tests. I ended up with 350 TS and 340 AA. It's not great, but I am pretty satisfied with my score..

For me, OAT destroyer was really helpful and I went over all the problems in OAT destroyer twice before the exam. I personally don't recommend Topscore (especially for Reading Comprehension!!). I ended up getting ~20-30 points higher in bio, gchem, and ochem, and ~60 points higher in physics on the actual OAT compared to Topscore practice tests.
I haven't used OAT achiever but heard others say that it was helpful.

I would recommend that you submit your application as soon as possible. I turned mine in on Oct 5th and I didn't take OAT until Nov 19th. But I got an invitation for interview from ICO on Oct 29th, even before I take OAT.

Good luck.

Last edited: