Need Advice/ Mentorship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandra89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Started undergrad in 2006
Dropped out due to financial difficulty, want to re-enroll, but maxed out on loans already( ive paid most of my tuition for school myself aside from loans) Parent is disabled, unemployed and live in Sec 8.

I want to take the rest of my prereqs at CC because they are cheaper

Undegrad GPA 2.2,
131 credits (Health Sciences Degree w minor in Psychology), i changed my degree twice which affected my progress and grades,
have to take 12 credits to complete my degree so i am almost done

Prereq status
University
English- A
Statistics- B
Calculus- C
College Algebra- C

Community College
A/P I w lab - C
Chem I and II w lab- Cs (took these classes in one summer (2010)

Physics I with lab- A- took this class in the fall (2010)

I still have to take (want to take these at CC)
A/P II
Physics II
Org Chem I/II

Last Volunteer Activity was in 2011
Math Tutor-HS Math
Activity Assistant-Nursing Home
Salvation Army

Will start
Teaching ESL as a Volunteer in July

Jobs after my last class (2012) were mostly administrative positions
I am applying for Medical Assistant Jobs but they require certification, if i enroll, it would conflict with working and trying to take my prereqs at the same time.

I want to be in Med School hopefully by 2016

Members don't see this ad.

You have a long road ahead of you. You will not be a competitive applicant in a year's time. Your GPA is a long, long way off from medical school entrance. You will need to retake a lot of classes and kill it in every one of them. You will need to amass a lot of ECs, including volunteering, clinical experience, and shadowing.

I wish you all the best in the world, but you need to sketch out a long-term plan that will get your GPA up to snuff and get you the ECs you are expected to have.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Started undergrad in 2006
Dropped out due to financial difficulty, want to re-enroll, but maxed out on loans already( ive paid most of my tuition for school myself aside from loans) Parent is disabled, unemployed and live in Sec 8.

I want to take the rest of my prereqs at CC because they are cheaper

Undegrad GPA 2.2,
131 credits (Health Sciences Degree w minor in Psychology), i changed my degree twice which affected my progress and grades,
have to take 12 credits to complete my degree so i am almost done

Prereq status
University
English- A
Statistics- B
Calculus- C
College Algebra- C

Community College
A/P I w lab - C
Chem I and II w lab- Cs (took these classes in one summer (2010)

Physics I with lab- A- took this class in the fall (2010)

I still have to take (want to take these at CC)
A/P II
Physics II
Org Chem I/II

Last Volunteer Activity was in 2011
Math Tutor-HS Math
Activity Assistant-Nursing Home
Salvation Army

Will start
Teaching ESL as a Volunteer in July

Jobs after my last class (2012) were mostly administrative positions
I am applying for Medical Assistant Jobs but they require certification, if i enroll, it would conflict with working and trying to take my prereqs at the same time.

I want to be in Med School hopefully by 2016

I would work on getting my GPA to a 3.0 at least and think about carribean schools. Work on the science gpa.

You have a long road ahead of you. You will not be a competitive applicant in a year's time. Your GPA is a long, long way off from medical school entrance. You will need to retake a lot of classes and kill it in every one of them. You will need to amass a lot of ECs, including volunteering, clinical experience, and shadowing.

I wish you all the best in the world, but you need to sketch out a long-term plan that will get your GPA up to snuff and get you the ECs you are expected to have.
Ok.Thank you. Is CNA, or Medical Assistant considered clinical experience

Have you looked into DO? If you retake classes that you got a C in, they would be "erased"?

Ok.Thank you. Is CNA, or Medical Assistant considered clinical experience

CNA would be considered clinical since you are interacting with patients. You will still need to do physician shadowing and have a history of humanitarian/volunteer work.

Thanks, yes i have looked into LUCOM is a new school and VCOM

Thank you, i have considered SJSM, any other suggestions?

In my opinion right now, the only thing you need to worry about is your GPA, its really low. I can see you are volunteering and doing all that but that is completely secondary, thats to set you apart from people who already have a good GPA. Don't let those activities hinder your studying.

Thanks, yes i have looked into LUCOM is a new school and VCOM
All right! So maybe you can take the rest of your pre-reqs, see where you stand (GPA) and then look into re-taking if your GPA is still on the low side. There are always SMP's/formal post-baccs as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first bit of advice to you is do not crosspost a topic in multiple threads, it is against the TOS and will get them all locked.

All right! So maybe you can take the rest of your pre-reqs, see where you stand (GPA) and then look into re-taking if your GPA is still on the low side. There are always SMP's/formal post-baccs as well.
Ok, i def will...i have read in other forums advising against taking prereqs at CC, what do you think about that.

My first bit of advice to you is do not crosspost a topic in multiple threads, it is against the TOS and will get them all locked.
I didnt know...what do i do to avoid getting it locked

I didnt know...what do i do to avoid getting it locked
Nothing you can do now. If the mods notice they'll probably lock all but one. If all of them get locked, start a new thread, but pick a single forum in which to do so.

Figured I'd inform you before your threads got shut down and you had no idea why lol, it's designed to keep spam in the forum at a minimum.

Unfortunately, a 2.2 GPA is likely to keep you out of medical school... Have you considered other careers in the medical field?

Ok, I realize I may have come off mean previously. That being said, have you ever thought about being a PA? Mainly due to GPA and finances. I truly believe Caribbean is too risky for anyone.

Last edited:
You can't delete grades. Even if your school allows it, you are REQUIRED to report them when you apply. If the school accepts you and you didn't disclose them, they can and will kick you out, even if you're in your fourth year of med school. It's not worth the risk.

What you need is to apply to DO schools because they do grade replacement. Retake any class you failed. See what happens to your GPA. Then retake any Ds and Cs and see what happens to your GPA. You have seriously rock the MCAT. If you do all that, I would apply to every single DO school in the country and pray to God you get in. DO NOT GO TO THE CARIBBEAN!!!! With the merger between DO and MD residencies, I believe offshore students will be the first left out of residencies. No residency, no medical license and $300,000 in debt. Stay stateside and apply DO.

lol don't worry about it.. you are doing it for a good cause.
Your comment made me realize, I was being mean. I figure I should make amends. OP deserves to do well in life.

Hey Sandra,

I understand your financial issues in which you first had to face beginning your career.
here are a few points:
-Most medical schools have an expiration date for the requirement classes, meaning that you probably need to retake most of the classes that you have already completed which turns out to actually be GOOD, cause you can improve your GPA that way.
- I would encourage you to take the rest of the 3 science classes that you still need at a university, only because it makes a big difference education wise and will look better on your transcript especially if you get good grades on them ( you will prove to the committee that you can handle university level classes).
-last, you probably will still need to do a graduate program to get better grades and a better GPA (3.0+)

you can definitely do it if your goal is 2016 class :)

good luck