Need Advice on 4th year electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Major0909

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

Basically, I've got a 4th year elective at Sloan Kettering in the Medical Hem/Onc department set up for October; however I'm also awaiting word on Hem/Onc for the same month at the Harvard Hospitals (I applied for at all 4)

Now here's my dilemma: As far as my interests go- I'm very interested in Hem/Onc with eventual fellowship in mind and am pretty excited about being at MSKCC for a month in that environment

But as far as actual Residency app stuff goes I'm definitely going to be applying out in Boston (with MGH,BW = reaches, BID = high on my list, potentially a reach) and since MSK doesn't actually have residency positions at their institution I think overall doing an away at BID for example might be more beneficial

As far as goals of the rotation go I'm hoping to get a letter either way (It's pushing it I know) and again HMS hospitals are all on my list for IM residency as is Cornell for that matter

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Major0909 said:
Hey guys-

Basically, I've got a 4th year elective at Sloan Kettering in the Medical Hem/Onc department set up for October; however I'm also awaiting word on Hem/Onc for the same month at the Harvard Hospitals (I applied for at all 4)

Now here's my dilemma: As far as my interests go- I'm very interested in Hem/Onc with eventual fellowship in mind and am giddy with excitement about being at MSKCC for a month in that environment

But as far as actual Residency app stuff goes I'm definitely going to be applying out in Boston (with MGH,BW = def reaches, BID = high on my list, potentially a reach) and since MSK doesn't actually have residency positions at their institution I think overall doing an away at BID for example might be more beneficial

As far as goals of the rotation go I'm hoping to get a letter either way (It's pushing it I know) and again HMS hospitals are all on my list for IM residency as is Cornell for that matter

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.. thanks!

I work at MGH and work for the head of hem/onc dept. Send $100 to my paypal account and I'll put in a good word for you.
:thumbup: