Need advice on choosing offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applegirl89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently work for Walgreens and has been a floater for more than a year now. And my goal is to work in a hospital setting.

I've been trying really hard to get a full time hospital job and had worked PRN at a hospital before. Now, I also recently got an offer from a grocery retail chain for a floating position. So I come to a dilemma where I am not sure if I should switch from Walgreens to the grocery chain? And continue to apply to hospitals.

Or should I just stick with Walgreens and apply to all hospitals and wait...(this means it could take a while before I can get one)

Members don't see this ad.

depends on what grocer Id take kroger or publix, skip winndix/bilo

How does the grocery offer compare to your current job? Pay, benefits, schedule etc. If it's substantially better it may be worth taking the offer, but if you are going to keep looking for hospital jobs you would have to be willing to bail out after a short period of time. I try not to take a full-time job unless I'm willing to commit at least two years to it for my resume's sake, but I've never had to work at Walgreens so it may be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently work for Walgreens and has been a floater for more than a year now. And my goal is to work in a hospital setting.

I've been trying really hard to get a full time hospital job and had worked PRN at a hospital before. Now, I also recently got an offer from a grocery retail chain for a floating position. So I come to a dilemma where I am not sure if I should switch from Walgreens to the grocery chain? And continue to apply to hospitals.

Or should I just stick with Walgreens and apply to all hospitals and wait...(this means it could take a while before I can get one)
Do you enjoy your current job with Wags? What do the benefits look like compared to your current and potential grocery store job?

How does the grocery offer compare to your current job? Pay, benefits, schedule etc. If it's substantially better it may be worth taking the offer, but if you are going to keep looking for hospital jobs you would have to be willing to bail out after a short period of time. I try not to take a full-time job unless I'm willing to commit at least two years to it for my resume's sake, but I've never had to work at Walgreens so it may be worth it.

The pay and benefit is about the same, not really a big difference. The main advantage that the grocery chain has is that I get to work 12 hours a day, and work only 3-4 days a week at low volume stores + lunch break. But the offer requires that I have to travel about an hour each day for at least a few months until something closer to home comes up. And I know that If I get a hospital position, I would give up the grocery one. So I think? my gut is telling me to not take the offer, and focus on getting what I truly wants.

If I were hiring someone from retail, I would rather take a chance on the person from a chain known to be pretty busy, then from a chain known to be pretty slow. I would figure the person from the busy chain would be used to stress and making quick decisions. Changing from a busy chain to a slower chain, can give the perception that you weren't able to take the stress at the busy chain.

While that is something to consider, a bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. I would take the job that is going to work out better in your life at the moment (and potentially you might consider which job would give you more time for hospital job hunting and/or make it easier to schedule interviews.)

Reactions: 1 user
If you are 100% dead set on working in hospital ASAP I would just stay at WAGS. For anyone else I would just say look at pay/benefits and if there isn't a significant different go to the grocery store.