Need Advice on Lab vs Clerk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ZeroC0mbine

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some advices on what to do. I'm a 2nd year undergrad currently working as an assistance at a lab on campus. I'm not taking a lot of classes this quarter and I also want to apply for a pharmacy clerk position on the weekends. I fear that I wont have enough time to do both if I want to do well in my classes. Considering the length I've worked at this lab already, is it worth it on losing the experience I have to gain maybe 8-10 hours of studying per week or possibly enroll myself in other class to satisfy prereqs more quickly?

Thanks!
 
First, do you see yourself working as a retail pharmacist in the future or in the biotech/research side of the field? Depending on what you want to do with the profession, both lab work and a clerk position would be valuable experience. Having said that, if you're not sure what you want to do with your future PharmD degree, I would continue with the research position through the end of the year. This summer or next year, look into retail experience. You have plenty of time, so I would suggest building solid experience in both areas in order to be more well-rounded.