Need Advice on living arrangments!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adaze

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm non-traditional student with a family (husband and daughter). I'm having such a difficult time finding a place that offers enough space for my family that doesn't come with strict income requirements. My husband won't have a job until after we relocate so we simply have saving and whatever Scholl budget for living. The most budget friendly housing seems to be further north from North Chicago giving me a longer commute for school (30-35 minute)

For those who live further away from school campus what has been your commute experience, how far do you drive to get to school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm non-traditional student with a family (husband and daughter). I'm having such a difficult time finding a place that offers enough space for my family that doesn't come with strict income requirements. My husband won't have a job until after we relocate so we simply have saving and whatever Scholl budget for living. The most budget friendly housing seems to be further north from North Chicago giving me a longer commute for school (30-35 minute)

For those who live further away from school campus what has been your commute experience, how far do you drive to get to school?
What about Navy housing right by the school?

What about Navy housing right by the school?
That was my plan originally however they require 3× the rent proof income. So I wouldn't be able to show proof until my huband has a new job in place.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was my plan originally however they require 3× the rent proof income. So I wouldn't be able to show proof until my huband has a new job in place.

Try craigslist or apartments.com
I would advise living as close to campus as possible, esp for term 1.
Are families not allowed in Woodland apts?

Reactions: 1 user
Try craigslist or apartments.com
I would advise living as close to campus as possible, esp for term 1.
Are families not allowed in Woodland apts?

I'm sure they do however they only have a 2 bed bath and I need extra space. I will definitely give those websites a try !!! I definitely hope to live as close to campus as possible but I will probably have to commute one way or another due to schooling for my daughter. Thank you for the advice!!

Most apartment owners and landlords know you'll be living off of loans mostly, so they usually don't care about income for grad students. That's how basically everyone in all health/law schools pay for living costs is through loans. Did you tell them that you are a pod student?

Reactions: 1 user
Most apartment owners and landlords know you'll be living off of loans mostly, so they usually don't care about income for grad students. That's how basically everyone in all health/law schools pay for living costs is through loans. Did you tell them that you are a pod student?

The military housing knew, however it seems like they have recently made changes with their leasing policy. Other places that I've recently contacted seem to be a little more reasonable with the situation. I'll just have to wait and see what they say once I actually submit housing applications with documentation