Quantcast

Need advice on post-bac, low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medadvicewanted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello, I am looking for some advice on post bacs. I have around a 2.9-3.0 UG GPA (not sure what science gpa is) Obviously I am not in prime position to be accepted into medical school and I know this. However, I still strongly desire to get into medical school. Therefore, I am looking at Post-Bacc programs and seeing whether I have a chance with my current GPA. I am thinking about Wayne State University and Toledo, however I would honestly go to any school that accepted me for a post-bacc. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do? :( Furthermore, I really have no idea what to do to better improve my chances other than a post-bacc/masters program. I don't know what usual applicants for post-baccs look like and what their GPA's are. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

physcigirl27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for some advice on post bacs. I have around a 2.9-3.0 UG GPA (not sure what science gpa is) Obviously I am not in prime position to be accepted into medical school and I know this. However, I still strongly desire to get into medical school. Therefore, I am looking at Post-Bacc programs and seeing whether I have a chance with my current GPA. I am thinking about Wayne State University and Toledo, however I would honestly go to any school that accepted me for a post-bacc. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do? :( Furthermore, I really have no idea what to do to better improve my chances other than a post-bacc/masters program. I don't know what usual applicants for post-baccs look like and what their GPA's are. Any help is appreciated!

I'm no expert by any means with any of this stuff but I had almost the same UG gpa (AACOMAS gpa of 3.00). I didn't apply to any MD SMPs but I'm in the process of applying to DO ones and have gotten into LMU-DCOM'S and William Carey's MBS program.

Try looking to DO SMPS if you're okay with going that route...

good luck!

johnnyscans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

I'm assuming you need to complete your prerequisite coursework. If you Google "AMCAS GPA calculator" you can download a speadsheet that you enter your transcript into and it will plop out your GPA's. How long have you been out of school? Did you have any type of upward trend? The reason I ask because the last thing you want to do is get into a formal program and bomb the first semester because you don't remember how to study and/or get As.

Before starting at Harvard Extension I took intro chem and intro bio at a local 4 year university to make sure I was ready for the work ahead of me. I pulled an A and an A-. Make sure your bad study habits are way behind you.

There are all types of post-bacc applicants and student. GPA boosters, those completing their pre-reqs who kicked ass in undergrad, servicemembers, etc.

In my opinion. With a 3.0 (if that's actually your AMCAS GPA, which includes +/-) you probably want to show 50-60 credits of post-bacc work in order overshadow your previous coursework as much as possible. This should be 8-12 credits a semester with the rest of your time spent working/volunteering/researching. The weakest spot on your application has to be your GPA, everything else should be way above average. You also want to smoke your MCAT. Where are you located and what is your work situation? Are you willing to travel for a post-bacc program?

Let me know.

medadvicewanted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the reply! I just graduated in Dec. 2011 with a bachelors in psych and a minor in biology (I do alright in my science classes, it's actually the other courses that I didn't give much attention to, but still, my sciences are not all top grades. Currently I'm taking biochemistry and human physiology just to stay fresh as a non-degree student. I am located in Michigan. I would consider traveling (and probably would) but I would prefer not to. I don't think I would need to be taking pre-reqs as I've taken all intro bio, chem, physics and orgo (retaking may be a different story). Let me know if you need more info, thanks again! Also, 50-60 credits seems like a long time.