Need advice on reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D0WNxSH1FT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still holding out hope, but lets be serious. So I am wondering if my friend (honestly not me lol) should reapply this summer or does she have to wait an entire year?

Stats:

NY Resident
GPA: 3.2
MCAT: 29 Q
EC: Sorority member, volunteered in college, published in one paper, waiting on another. Worked in Chem lab during college.
LOR: The usual one from her college based on two Professor's letters.

Shadowing: none
DO Letters: none

She applied fully in November 2009, so I am assuming that was a big hit to her chances. Obviously the stats are not stellar, but not horrible for DO schools either.

If she retook some classes to boost her GPA and maybe did some volunteering and shadowing between now and this summer would it make sense to reapply, or does she need to really wait till Summer 2011 (giving her a year of everything)?

Members don't see this ad.

Was it clinical volunteering that she did in college?

How does she know that she wants to be a doctor if she's never experienced the life of a doctor? She needs some shadowing. And if she's going to apply to DO schools as well, she needs that DO letter. And it'd probably be good to get another letter from another source to show that her application has been improved/enhanced in as many different areas as possible.

She needs to start volunteering/shadowing NOW, and she could probably stand to bump the MCAT score up a few more points. If she can do all of that by July (and continue shadowing/volunteering through the application cycle), then I don't see why she wouldn't be able to apply this coming cycle.

Somewhere, an ER needs its beds cleaned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was it clinical volunteering that she did in college?

How does she know that she wants to be a doctor if she's never experienced the life of a doctor? She needs some shadowing. And if she's going to apply to DO schools as well, she needs that DO letter. And it'd probably be good to get another letter from another source to show that her application has been improved/enhanced in as many different areas as possible.

She needs to start volunteering/shadowing NOW, and she could probably stand to bump the MCAT score up a few more points. If she can do all of that by July (and continue shadowing/volunteering through the application cycle), then I don't see why she wouldn't be able to apply this coming cycle.
She's always wanted to be a Dr. Just never had an opportunity to work with one besides an opthamologist (which doesnt count).

I think the main volunteering was at a nursing home. I dont know if that really counts as clinical...though you can "smell the patients" haha.

The schools mostly say DO letters are not required, but recommended. Id assume it really is required for non-competitive stats. How do you submit LOR's beyond the one from her Undergrad? Does the AACOMAS have more LOR sections?

Thanks for the advice!

Excuse me? Why doesn't an ophthalmologist count as a doctor? They went to medical school, graduated, and did a residency and everything.

Excuse me? Why doesn't an ophthalmologist count as a doctor? They went to medical school, graduated, and did a residency and everything.

No no. I meant that working with an Ophthalmologist doesn't count as shadowing a DO or MD for the application. Totally different career, schools and test. Wouldn't they want you to shadow a DO? Would they even accept a LOR from an Opt?

No no. I meant that working with an Ophthalmologist doesn't count as shadowing a DO or MD for the application. Totally different career, schools and test. Wouldn't they want you to shadow a DO? Would they even accept a LOR from an Opt?

What?!?! Opthalmologists go to medical school. OpTOMetrists go to optometry school. Did she shadow an optometrist? If she in fact did shadow an opthalmologist, then I think you're mistaken/confused as to it not counting as shadowing for the purposes of applying to medical school.

:wtf:

Ophthalmologist: a physician who specializes in the medical and surgical care of the eyes and visual system and in the prevention of eye disease and injury. They provide a full spectrum of care including routine eye exams, diagnosis and medical treatment of eye disorders and diseases, prescriptions for eyeglasses, surgery, and management of eye problems that are caused by systemic illnesses. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors (M.D.) or doctors of osteopathy (D.O.).

Optometrist: An optometrist is a doctor of optometry (O.D.), rather than a medical doctor. The optometrist is licensed to conduct eye exams, prescribe corrective contact lenses and glasses, and diagnose and treat eye disease. He or she will work through various vision therapies to treat abnormalities, and can prescribe drugs for the eyes. If surgery is required, the patient is sent to an ophthalmologist.

What?!?! Opthalmologists go to medical school. OpTOMetrists go to optometry school. Did she shadow an optometrist? If she in fact did shadow an opthalmologist, then I think you're mistaken/confused as to it not counting as shadowing for the purposes of applying to medical school.

:wtf:

Ophthalmologist: a physician who specializes in the medical and surgical care of the eyes and visual system and in the prevention of eye disease and injury. They provide a full spectrum of care including routine eye exams, diagnosis and medical treatment of eye disorders and diseases, prescriptions for eyeglasses, surgery, and management of eye problems that are caused by systemic illnesses. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors (M.D.) or doctors of osteopathy (D.O.).

Optometrist: An optometrist is a doctor of optometry (O.D.), rather than a medical doctor. The optometrist is licensed to conduct eye exams, prescribe corrective contact lenses and glasses, and diagnose and treat eye disease. He or she will work through various vision therapies to treat abnormalities, and can prescribe drugs for the eyes. If surgery is required, the patient is sent to an ophthalmologist.

Hmm, I'm gonna have to find out. I know that the doctors she works with go to Nursing Homes and screen patients. They also have their own practices outside of that.

I'm gonna have to find out. I think now maybe they are Optometrists. If so, sorry for the confusion I'm in Finance, not Medical field.

Hmm, I'm gonna have to find out. I know that the doctors she works with go to Nursing Homes and screen patients. They also have their own practices outside of that.

I'm gonna have to find out. I think now maybe they are Optometrists. If so, sorry for the confusion I'm in Finance, not Medical field.

:laugh::laugh:

Well she just interviewed at a Podiatry school and it went well. But not what she really wants.

They are Optometrists, sorry guys!