Need Advice on Verification and Marriage

Started by Cdiddy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cdiddy

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok I may have made a mistake here. I filled my FAFSA application out earlier this year. I also just got married in Jan of this year. On my fafsa I put that I was single. The school I attend has sent me verification forms. Should I just go on like I am single and just send them my w-2's. Then next year show that I am married. Or should I send in my fafsa correction and put down that I am married. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Chris
 
Uh... If you have been singled out for verification, I don't think lying is a good idea. My understanding is that verification is a type of investigation. It is hard to claim an honest mistake when you make it twice.

I would come clean. The school will find out eventually that you are married (tax returns from 2004 that you will give them in 2005 will show that you were married this year). Don't turn a small deception into fraud.
 
beriberi said:
Uh... If you have been singled out for verification, I don't think lying is a good idea. My understanding is that verification is a type of investigation. It is hard to claim an honest mistake when you make it twice.

I would come clean. The school will find out eventually that you are married (tax returns from 2004 that you will give them in 2005 will show that you were married this year). Don't turn a small deception into fraud.

Bank fraud is a really bad thing -- you want a medical license eventually right? Just bite the bullet and fix it. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Ed
 
Just an update. I corrected my FAFSA and put I was married and added her income. The funny thing is my EFC actually dropped to 0. So I really came out better in the end.