Need advice on when to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HotHamH2O

Turn on the fire hose and open wide!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are the #'s:

cGPA: 3.97
sGPA: 3.92
MCAT: 7(PS), 9(VR), 8(BS), retake scheduled for August

Paid Employment - Clinical: 3 years as an EMT for an ambulance company, 3 Years as an emergency room technician working with and assisting MD's and DO's
Letters: Committee letter, one DO letters (from work and shadowing experience)
Volunteer work: volunteer fire fighter, soup kitchens, church youth group ~1000+ hrs.
Shadowing ( 2 docs; emergency and internal medicine): 32 hrs.
Research: Been involved with the clinical research team at my hospital for over a year now; publications in the works
Various other less important things
(Not underrepresented or disadvantaged)

Submitting AACOMAS this week but unsure about AMCAS.

So I won't get my retake MCAT scores until September. Should I go ahead and submit my AMCAS to all schools I am interested in or apply to only one school just to get verified only to apply to the rest in September? I can't seem to get a clear answer to this even from my advisor.

Members don't see this ad.

In your shoes, I'd personally sit out this cycle (I know that is not what you want to hear, but with your GPA and 6 more points on the MCAT you are golden for some low/mid-tier MD programs). The only thing that will hold you back from an acceptance is your MCAT score and you can beat the test.

If you are still intent on applying, than apply everywhere and indicate your intent to re-take. Known that your most likely acceptance will come from the newer less MCAT focused schools.

Best of luck to you!

In your shoes, I'd personally sit out this cycle (I know that is not what you want to hear, but with your GPA and 6 more points on the MCAT you are golden for some low/mid-tier MD programs). The only thing that will hold you back from an acceptance is your MCAT score and you can beat the test.

If you are still intent on applying, than apply everywhere and indicate your intent to re-take. Known that your most likely acceptance will come from the newer less MCAT focused schools.

Best of luck to you!

What about DO schools? Do you think I have a shot at one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. you definitely have a shot at a DO school. Just know DO schools are becoming more MCAT focused (looking for 26-30) and your scores on the MCAT tell me you rushed to take it. I really think with your GPA you should be able to go anywhere you want rather than hoping someone will take you (and the only difference between one and the other in your case is the MCAT).

What about DO schools? Do you think I have a shot at one?