Need advice on whether to re-take MCAT before re-applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thunda2005

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have a huge decision here whether to retake my MCAT or not. I received a 506 my first time and just graduated in May with a 3.67 cGPA and a 3.64 sGPA, very consistent throughout college. I am still on the wait-list at one OOS middle-tier medical school and am looking to re-apply this next cycle. I am a white male working full-time now in at a pharma company and am worried I cannot get both more clinical shadowing hours and improve my MCAT in time. In all honesty I feel it is one or the other. Regardless, I plan on continuing to volunteer as a tutor and hopefully find a clinic near my new job. I made numerous mistakes my first time around such as not getting my primary in until July 1st, not applying to numerous MD schools that were much better for my scores, and also not applying to any DO schools. I know it will be asked so I will break down my EC's below (which is the strongest part of my app but I think I need my clinical hours...) :

-Worked ~30 hrs/wk jr/sr year as a paid tutor and at a bar (it paid well and I paid for most of my schooling)

-Exec board for 4 years for organization that worked on social events with those w/mental and physical disabilities (>500 hrs)

-Researcher for plant genetics lab (>600 hrs)

-2 years on my fraternity's executive board

-tutor at various high, middle, and elementary schools in the surrounding area (>150 hrs)

-Tutor for underprivileged high schoolers for bio and chem, also head ACT tutor (8 hrs/wk) (was not on last app, from my sr year)

-Did intake for 3 health clinics including training coordinator for one (>75 hrs) (one of these clinics not on last app, from sr year as well)

-Went on a medical mission trip outside of the US for 10 days (recent, not on last app)

-Participated in 1 alternative spring and winter break

-Worked as a camp counselor for special needs individuals for 2 summers, researched for 1, and worked for current employer for another

-Assistant coach for SO Illinois softball team

-Was a TA for freshman seminar class

-Shadowed various physicians from ER to orthopedics to pediatrics (~100hrs)

-Participating in Air Force HPSP (all cleared, just need entrance to med school)

-Strong LOR from 2 teachers, my research manager, and an assistant dean

Please no smart comments; I really just need some honest advice as this is a big decision and have received yes's and no's from a wide range of AdComs when I inquired after the fact on whether I should re-take the MCAT. Becoming a physician is all I want to do and will do whatever it take to achieve it. So what do you think? Just re-apply the first possible day while strengthening my ECs more or study my ass off and re-take the MCAT? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence and where did you apply this past cycle? How many interviews?

I live in IL. I applied to Rush, UW, VCU, Wake, Louisville, MCW, Loyola, UIC, Temple, OSU, MSU, PSU, Creighton, SLU, Wright St, Wayne St, CFU, Arkansas, and Iowa. 1 Interview and was wait-listed there which I am currently still on.

You are a good candidate for DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. For MD you could reapply to:
UIC
Rush
Loyola
MCW
VCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
Other schools that are reasonable to add include:
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Jefferson
GW
Eastern Virginia

Reactions: 1 user
You are a good candidate for DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. For MD you could reapply to:
UIC
Rush
Loyola
MCW
VCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
Other schools that are reasonable to add include:
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Jefferson
GW
Eastern Virginia

Do you think I would have a relative shot at these without retaking the MCAT? Thanks again for all the suggestions I really appreciate it.

Do you think I would have a relative shot at these without retaking the MCAT? Thanks again for all the suggestions I really appreciate it.
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have an approximately 50% chance for a MD acceptance and those are the schools you need to include if you want to increase those odds.

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have an approximately 50% chance for a MD acceptance and those are the schools you need to include if you want to increase those odds.

You're a saint. Thank you so much!