NEED ADVICE: Optometry or Pharmacy Future Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I don't like hospitals (nosocomial infections no thanks) and 80 hour work weeks. So I chose optometry. And I've heard many bigots say that o you didn't go to medical school because your IQ isn't high enough. Maybe your IQ wasn't high enough because now you deal with Type A people all around you trying to screw you over and having you explain why surgical tape is white, that HIV + patient in the ER spewing blood all over and your wife trying to divorce you because you are never at home. I know this is all anecdotal and if you get into a ROAD specialty or something of this sort your attending life will be good.

Members don't see this ad.

Radiology, dermatology, anesthesiology are good specialties. No guts and blood. High pay. Work bank hours and make bank.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Radiology, dermatology, anesthesiology are good specialties. No guts and blood. High pay. Work bank hours and make bank.

Radiologists look at images of guts (and blood I guess); dermatologists poke, prod and cut at nasty skin growths that are filled with puss and blood; anesthesiologists sit in rooms where surgeons cut people open and do things to their guts and blood. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

That's what I meant when I said a ROAD specialty. Radiology, ophthalmology, anaesthesiology and dermatology or other surgical/non-surgical sub-specialties like these.

That's what I meant when I said a ROAD specialty. Radiology, ophthalmology, anaesthesiology and dermatology or other surgical/non-surgical sub-specialties like these.

These require much more schooling, and are among the most difficult to get into. yeah you might make " bank" but it always comes at a price. Some are hospital employees that don't call their own shots!

shnurek, Why are you always trying to justify why you chose Optometry? You chose optometry for this and that and on and on you go. When you are not even asked why you are doing optometry. It really comes off as you trying to cover some sense of insecurity or uncertainty about choosing optometry. If you are truly content with your decisions then there is no need to prove to anybody on the different forums you go to about your decisions.

These require much more schooling, and are among the most difficult to get into. yeah you might make " bank" but it always comes at a price. Some are hospital employees that don't call their own shots!

Exactly ^ I have respect for people that can go through all that because they love what they do. You only start to make good money into your late 30s, I could never keep living like a student that long no matter how much money I would make afterwards.

shnurek, Why are you always trying to justify why you chose Optometry? You chose optometry for this and that and on and on you go. When you are not even asked why you are doing optometry. It really comes off as you trying to cover some sense of insecurity or uncertainty about choosing optometry. If you are truly content with your decisions then there is no need to prove to anybody on the different forums you go to about your decisions.

I think they were saying that as a response to me as I said I wouldn't want to volunteer in a hospital. I appreciate people telling me why they picked their profession as it helps to relate and as I see you'er an optometry student too, I would appreciate your feelings toward the profession too :)

I think they were saying that as a response to me as I said I wouldn't want to volunteer in a hospital. I appreciate people telling me why they picked their profession as it helps to relate and as I see you'er an optometry student too, I would appreciate your feelings toward the profession too :)

You really need to go out and obtain this information firsthand yourself. Shadow a pharmacist, optometrist or a physician and come to your own conclusions. Some of the information you get from SDN can be pretty $hitty and most members will say things to bring up their own profession or put others down.

Because I like educating people about optometry to make sure they make the right choice. I am politically active at my school and I am deeply passionate about it.

Roger that! As they would tell me.

Didn't mean to re-start an old tread but didn't know of anywhere else to put this link:

These entrepreneurs say the optical industry is changing. But, hey, what do they know? They're not pre-opts or 1st year OD students :)

http://money.cnn.com/video/smallbusiness/2012/05/09/smb-online-eyeglasses.cnnmoney/

What's cools is that they show you how to get glasses for $19 after an intro commercial for a $70,000 Jaguar. Funny.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't mean to re-start an old tread but didn't know of anywhere else to put this link:

These entrepreneurs say the optical industry is changing. But, hey, what do they know? They're not pre-opts or 1st year OD students :)

http://money.cnn.com/video/smallbusiness/2012/05/09/smb-online-eyeglasses.cnnmoney/

What's cools is that they show you how to get glasses for $19 after an intro commercial for a $70,000 Jaguar. Funny.

LOL, I didn't get that jaguar intro commercial, but is this another hint that shows that the optometry world is getting less profitable for individual/independent working optometrists running their own business

LOL, I didn't get that jaguar intro commercial, but is this another hint that shows that the optometry world is getting less profitable for individual/independent working optometrists running their own business

Uh huh. Very profitable for the CEOs of vision plans and warehouse stores though. Optometrists are essentially becoming the factory line workers to pump out a product-- an eyeglass prescription. The sale of eyewear pays more than an eye exam. So the OD is left with a little negotiated fee for an eye exam ($40 or so) while the corporation makes out like a bandit on the optical side.

But the ignorant ODs think they are getting by by not having the "headaces" of running a private practice........all while being sodomized by members of the Walton family, Rob Lynch (VSP prez) and EyeMed..... and not even knowing it.

BTW, I have a 1999 Jaguar Xk8 convertible. Biggest piece of junk I've ever had. The plastic parts, which make up the bulk of the engine and interior, are disintegrating in front of my eyes. I can't wait to get rid of it.

Last edited:
BTW, I have a 1999 Jaguar Xk8 convertible. Biggest piece of junk I've ever had. The plastic parts, which make up the bulk of the engine and interior, are disintegrating in front of my eyes. I can't wait to get rid of it.

You probably know this already, but unfortunately, that was the first model year that Jaguar was devoured up by none other than Ford Motor Company. They did the same thing to Volvo....bought it, cheaped out every possible interior component they could get their hands on, destroyed the exterior design, and created a European car with American quality. Personally, I think American car companies design their cars to fall apart after about 2 years. I could be exaggerating, though...it might be as long as 3.

Uh huh. Very profitable for the CEOs of vision plans and warehouse stores though. Optometrists are essentially becoming the factory line workers to pump out a product-- an eyeglass prescription. The sale of eyewear pays more than an eye exam. So the OD is left with a little negotiated fee for an eye exam ($40 or so) while the corporation makes out like a bandit on the optical side.

But the ignorant ODs think they are getting by by not having the "headaces" of running a private practice........all while being sodomized by members of the Walton family, Rob Lynch (VSP prez) and EyeMed..... and not even knowing it.

I have a toyota corolla, what does this say about me as an OD? lol long lasting, durable, hardworking? :p

You probably know this already, but unfortunately, that was the first model year that Jaguar was devoured up by none other than Ford Motor Company. They did the same thing to Volvo....bought it, cheaped out every possible interior component they could get their hands on, destroyed the exterior design, and created a European car with American quality. Personally, I think American car companies design their cars to fall apart after about 2 years. I could be exaggerating, though...it might be as long as 3.

So true. As soon as TATA motors bought them they started making cars that don't look like garbage. The new Jaguars actually look pretty nice.

I have a toyota corolla, what does this say about me as an OD? lol long lasting, durable, hardworking? :p

I'll stick with my 06 Lexus LS400. Smoooth ride. That's kinda like a Toyota :D

Of course I prefer my 68 Mustang. Back when they made cars out of metal.

Mazda all the way, Lexus is nice too. Japanese cars > American cars - because they don't put in 1/3 of their GDP into the Military (cause they can't) so they invest more in technology.

Mazda all the way, Lexus is nice too. Japanese cars > American cars - because they don't put in 1/3 of their GDP into the Military (cause they can't) so they invest more in technology.

It has more to do with the fact that American auto companies are so heavily burdened by union contracts that they are unable to put any sort of quality into their product. The money is going to union benefits for thousands of current and past workers - a bloated system that can't support itself. When you have to pay three FT worker salaries/benefits for one guy on the line (2 retirees and 1 current worker), something's got to give. For what it's worth, Obama took the current union problem and made it worse by pandering to them (as he always does when union contracts come up). The problem really has nothing to do with military spending.

European>Anything else.

not as far as durability is concerned. they are good cars but when they have problems they are tough to work on and parts are expensive. BMW's and Mercedes in particular have lower value retention than Honda's and Toyotas for that reason and others.

It has more to do with the fact that American auto companies are so heavily burdened by union contracts that they are unable to put any sort of quality into their product. The money is going to union benefits for thousands of current and past workers - a bloated system that can't support itself. When you have to pay three FT worker salaries/benefits for one guy on the line (2 retirees and 1 current worker), something's got to give. For what it's worth, Obama took the current union problem and made it worse by pandering to them (as he always does when union contracts come up). The problem really has nothing to do with military spending.

Bingo.

Spoken like a true "Type A *****hole." If we are as you claim then you'd fit right in with all of us here in medical school Shnurek.

Btw its ***hole not *****hole, learn your curses.

Haha, now that I think about it, there is one curse word I can come up with that fits 5 letters.

Can anyone tell the GPA requirements in Canada's optometrist and pharm program ? Such as Waterloo and university of Montreal ?