Need Advice! Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnimaasMED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I obtained a Master’s degree in Neuropsychology from a university in Netherlands. My degree was accredited by World Educational Services and evaluated as equivalent to a Master’s degree in Neuropsychology from an accredited institution in USA. I am a Green card holder and will be immigrating to USA soon. What are my options to continue my path from there? Can I get licensed as a Neuropsychologist? Would it be better to apply for a P.H.D or PsyD program? What are my chances to get in a good program considering that I have a 3.1 GPA in my Bachelor and a 3.7 GPA in my Masters?
I hope you guys can help me out. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your reply Jon,

If I got it right in order to practice psychology in US I would have to get into a doctoral program in clinical psychology which would take me 4 to 6 years to finish (despite of having a Master degree) right? Can' I have my Master transfered to a doctoral program and complete the program in 3 years?

BTW what is a div 40 postdoc program?

Thanks for your help!

If I got it right in order to practice psychology in US I would have to get into a doctoral program in clinical psychology which would take me 4 to 6 years to finish (despite of having a Master degree) right? Can' I have my Master transfered to a doctoral program and complete the program in 3 years?

The problem with clinical PhDs is that there is a lot of specialized graduate work that you *must* complete for internship/licensure purposes. So, even though you might be able to gain admission in clinical psych as a PhD student (two people admitted my year were admitted directly to the PhD because they had Master's degrees in other areas of psychology), you still have to complete all the coursework/practica required of any student who was admitted out of their Bachelor's. So, it's not quite as simple as being admitted either as a Master's student and finishing in 4-6 years, or as a PhD student and finishing in 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd advise you to do a little research, though. Think about what you actually want to do with your degree. If it's important to you to have the title neuropsychologist and a private practice, then you do need to essentially start your graduate training from the ground up, unless you can get a doctoral degree outside the US and get some state licensing board to recognize it. Licensure as a psychologist in the US is a nightmare of conflicting and opaque regulation, different in each of the 50 states.

However, on a national level, a group of neuropsychologists had a conference in Houston in the late 90's, and they banded together to set standards for neuropsych training. This essentially protects their professional turf and establishes neuropsych as requiring an additional two years of post-doctoral experience beyond the Ph.D.

If your desire is to be a research neuropsychologist, however, you may be able to get staff positions on major research projects with your current qualifications. You may even, over time, end up making as much money in staff research positions as you are likely to make later with the title neuropsychologist.

uni,

in the US psychologist and neuropsychologist are both doctoral level positions. you cannot call yourself a psychologist with a doctorate. neuropsychologist in the states designates that you completed an additional 2 yrs after the completion of your doctorate.

therefore

you would have to get a doctorate. following your doctorate you would need to complete a formal 2 yr post doc in neuropsychology. you would then need to sit for the boards and complete oral and written examinations. this is a vast over simplification, and there are many many details that you would need to learn about.

state laws usually restrict masters level people from giving neuropsycholoigcal services.

division 40 is the neuropsychology subgroup of the American Psychological Association.

and arkatype is wrong: you will not be called a staff neuropsychologist in a research institution with your current qualifications and you will not make the same amount.

Thanks all for your replies. I know it has been a long time since my last posting but a question just came into my mind.
If I go back to Europe to earn a PhD in psychology would I then be able to come back for the 2 years post-doc internship here and then become a licenced psychologist?

I know that the system in Europe is completely different. In Germany for example, to become a clinical psychologist who performs psychotherapy you would have to go through a 3 years clinical internship after you gradute from the psychology school (with a diploma which is equivalent to a Master). But since licenced psychologist is a doctorate level position my guess is that that wouldn't help me much.

In Germany a Ph.D is more guided towards research then clinical work and psychotherapy.

Please share your thoughts!

PM'ed

but FYI: it is a one year pre doctoral internship and a one year post doctoral year.

two years formal intership with significant didactics for neuro. plus the passing of a board exam in addition to whatever licensing stuff you have to pass.