NEED ADVICE, PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nnpbruin13

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I have just graduated from UCLA with a degree in Psychobiology. My dream is to go to optometry school, however, my experience at UCLA has been the most difficult in my life, and I was unfortunately only able to end with a 2.7 overall GPA, I'm too scared to even calculate my science GPA. I decided to apply to a post-bacc program at CSULA, however, I GOT DENIED TO THAT. I was extremely disappointed, as I figured this would be my chance to prove myself and get myself on the road to optometry school.
I would LOVE advice for what anyone thinks I can potentially do in order to prepare for becoming a better candidate for optometry school. Here are some of the thoughts I had in mind:
1. take courses at a community college, science courses to help raise my overall and science GPA.
2. enroll in a continuing education/open university type of enrollment at a CSU and take classes from there.
3. wait to apply again next year.

I was pretty set on going to a community college, however, I am still very confused on how it differs from a post-bacc program. I understand that it may not "look as good" or that I won't be receiving a certificate at the end, but don't they both allow you to raise your GPA if you are just taking classes? If someone could clarify this for me, I would greatly appreciate it along with any other advice! Thank you so much in advance!
 
I graduated with a history major and spent 2 years taking pre-req classes before going to OD school (current 1st year). Quite a few were at a community college (a couple were re-takes from the sciences I didn't care about and got C's in while a history major lol). I also took some at local universities -- b/c I was working and just had to pick out what worked around my schedule. Some of the best courses I've taken have been at community colleges, though - loved my time there.
So, if I were in your position I would see if I could maybe get a job or some shadowing experience part time while taking classes at local community college or university (CSU? in your case?) also part-time.
 
Thank you so much for your response, kayrayy! I have been obtaining shadowing experience since last year and have a job at an ophthalmologist's office and plan on continuing my shadowing in the future. However, I'm just worried because I emailed the admissions counselor for the optometry school I wanted to go to and she said that she doesn't think going to a community college would help me since my GPA is low and that I should do the post-bacc. I'm so confused as to why it wouldn't be able to help me, I just thought that as long as I could take more courses and do well in them, they could help boost my GPA. But thank you so much for your advice, I think I will end up taking courses at a cc, I just want to know what the best option is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since you've already graduated it would take quite a few credit hours to get your gpa up into a good range. I was told by admissions representatives that courses taken at community college do not have the same respect for classes taken at a university. Anyone should be able to get A's at a community college. I agree with the admissions rep, take the post bac and show that you are very committed and are a better student than your undergrad gpa shows. Also, a lot schools don't want your pre-reqs, particularly science courses, from a community college.
 
Since you've already graduated it would take quite a few credit hours to get your gpa up into a good range. I was told by admissions representatives that courses taken at community college do not have the same respect for classes taken at a university. Anyone should be able to get A's at a community college. I agree with the admissions rep, take the post bac and show that you are very committed and are a better student than your undergrad gpa shows. Also, a lot schools don't want your pre-reqs, particularly science courses, from a community college.
Thanks so much for your response! The problem is, I have already taken 90% of my pre-reqs, so I'm pretty much looking to just take a bunch of science courses in general, to boost my GPA. But I definitely see what you're saying, so should I wait until next year to apply again to the post-bacc prgram since I was rejected for this upcoming school year? Or should I take classes at a 4-year CSU in the meantime as a nonmatriculated student?
 
I would probably talk to the schools you are interested in doing the post-bacc at. I would want to spend as little money as possible, so if they think you can get in as is I'd hold off and just work! With 4 years worth of credits, it will be hard to boost your gpa that much in a years time! Optometry school is also a large financial investment, so if you can limit your spending now, it will be beneficial in the long term!
 
Hello, I have just graduated from UCLA with a degree in Psychobiology. My dream is to go to optometry school, however, my experience at UCLA has been the most difficult in my life, and I was unfortunately only able to end with a 2.7 overall GPA, I'm too scared to even calculate my science GPA. I decided to apply to a post-bacc program at CSULA, however, I GOT DENIED TO THAT. I was extremely disappointed, as I figured this would be my chance to prove myself and get myself on the road to optometry school.
I would LOVE advice for what anyone thinks I can potentially do in order to prepare for becoming a better candidate for optometry school. Here are some of the thoughts I had in mind:
1. take courses at a community college, science courses to help raise my overall and science GPA.
2. enroll in a continuing education/open university type of enrollment at a CSU and take classes from there.
3. wait to apply again next year.

I was pretty set on going to a community college, however, I am still very confused on how it differs from a post-bacc program. I understand that it may not "look as good" or that I won't be receiving a certificate at the end, but don't they both allow you to raise your GPA if you are just taking classes? If someone could clarify this for me, I would greatly appreciate it along with any other advice! Thank you so much in advance!

Kind of am/was in the same boat. I graduated with a sub-par 3.0 and decided to take a break after I graduated Spring 2013 after following advice from Optometry schools and my Pre-Health Advisor (i.e. they told me work and take upper level science classes (graduate, post bacc, etc) to prove I can handle the coursework and busy schedule). My BS was in Microbiology but I also worked basically full-time when I was in undergrad and like you had a difficult transition in undergrad. I work full-time for a Biotechnology/infectious disease company in R&D and I have been able to do my MS in Biological Sciences/Molecular Biology through them as a part-time student. That's sort of how I found my way around having added expense from taking upper level courses (since I get educational reimbursement). My suggestion maybe would be to find somewhere that could do this for you too. Initially, I was only accepted as a non-degree student and had to take 2-3 classes and maintaining at least a 3.75 to be admitted into the MS graduate program. Didn't take NO for an answer. I had a lot of people tell me I wasn't cut out for upper level courses... but I ended up proving them wrong. Time off is not always a bad thing! Basically, I've kept myself extremely busy with shadowing, studying for OATs, working 40+ hours a week, doing PPAC, and taking 6-9 graduate credits a semester all while maintaining mainly A's. It's tough, but I have found this to help soldify my desire and motivation to become an Optometrist. I've also found my time management skill, networking, and maturity to grow with the time I have had off and I wouldn't trade it in for anything. I think my only road block right now is retaking that OAT 😛. I'll be applying as a non-trad student for fall 2016. Goodluck!!! PM me if you want to talk I definitely know how it feels!
 
Last edited:
I would probably talk to the schools you are interested in doing the post-bacc at. I would want to spend as little money as possible, so if they think you can get in as is I'd hold off and just work! With 4 years worth of credits, it will be hard to boost your gpa that much in a years time! Optometry school is also a large financial investment, so if you can limit your spending now, it will be beneficial in the long term!
Thanks for your time, I really appreciate the advice!