Need advice please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbhopkin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT last summer, and got a 19 academic average and 21 PAT score. My individual scores were 22 in General Chemistry, 20 in Organic Chemistry, 19 in Quantitative Reasoning, 18 in Reading Comprehension, and 16 in Biology. I have been told that because my biology score is somewhat low that I should consider retaking the DAT before applying. This year I have taken biochemistry and two semesters of Anatomy and Physiology, which I definitely think would boost my Biology score. Do you think that it is necessary for me to retake it, or do you think I would be okay with these scores? (My GPA is around 3.5 or so...) Please let me know what you think... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT last summer, and got a 19 academic average and 21 PAT score. My individual scores were 22 in General Chemistry, 20 in Organic Chemistry, 19 in Quantitative Reasoning, 18 in Reading Comprehension, and 16 in Biology. I have been told that because my biology score is somewhat low that I should consider retaking the DAT before applying. This year I have taken biochemistry and two semesters of Anatomy and Physiology, which I definitely think would boost my Biology score. Do you think that it is necessary for me to retake it, or do you think I would be okay with these scores? (My GPA is around 3.5 or so...) Please let me know what you think... Thanks!

Retake it, the 16 in Bio is gonna hurt you. You should aim for at least a 19 in bio.

There are some schools that require you to score a 17 or higher on every section of the DAT. I know that it is possible to gain an acceptance with below a 17 at some schools. Your PAT is good, and your AA is good, so I think the main question is just whether schools will let the bio score slide. Best way to know is to figure out where you want to apply (there's a thread near the top of the main pre-dental page about picking schools) and then search these forums to find out. If you can't find anything out, call the school.

Hope that helps.