Need advice regarding next steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2Be93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Longtime lurker. I was initially going to apply this cycle but with my subpar stats, lack of an MCAT (testing in September) and scrounging for recommendation letters, the odds are too stacked against me. Makes a lot more sense to apply next year (day one). I have made many mistakes during my undergraduate career and still trying to rectify them. My cGPA according to my calculations is around a ~2.5 and my science is the same (this is including my postbacc; I did damage in undergrad). I did a DIY post bacc and struggled in the beginning of that too but turned it around (last 24 credits at 3.87, all BCPM) the courses I took most recently were Parasitology, Biology of Cancer, Developmental Biology, Biotechnology, Immunology, Cell Biology, Survey of Regional Anatomy and Virology; I have gotten As in all of these classes, except for Developmental Biology.

My plan was to take at least 12 credits this fall & spring semesters and achieve a 4.0 in both. Will that be enough evidence to convince adcoms I'm no longer an idiot? Coupled with a good MCAT. I am a urm female (african american) located in Florida.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

You have done a great job turning it around!

Each school will be different on is threshold's for admission, your overall GPA may create a challenge. Talk with your school's premed advisor for additional thoughts and suggestions.

@Goro and others, any additional thoughts/suggestions?

Reactions: 1 user
You have done a great job turning it around!

Each school will be different on is threshold's for admission, your overall GPA may create a challenge. Talk with your school's premed advisor for additional thoughts and suggestions.

@Goro and others, any additional thoughts/suggestions?
Thank you! My top choice school states on MSAR that there is no gpa requirement for admission and they consider recent coursework so I hope that can be my saving grace. I have accepted the fact that my gpa will never be over 3.0 but I hope a sea of As in higher-level science courses shows that I can and will excel in a medical program. Would love to hear Goro's insight as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

Longtime lurker. I was initially going to apply this cycle but with my subpar stats, lack of an MCAT (testing in September) and scrounging for recommendation letters, the odds are too stacked against me. Makes a lot more sense to apply next year (day one). I have made many mistakes during my undergraduate career and still trying to rectify them. My cGPA according to my calculations is around a ~2.5 and my science is the same (this is including my postbacc; I did damage in undergrad). I did a DIY post bacc and struggled in the beginning of that too but turned it around (last 24 credits at 3.87, all BCPM) the courses I took most recently were Parasitology, Biology of Cancer, Developmental Biology, Biotechnology, Immunology, Cell Biology, Survey of Regional Anatomy and Virology; I have gotten As in all of these classes, except for Developmental Biology.

My plan was to take at least 12 credits this fall & spring semesters and achieve a 4.0 in both. Will that be enough evidence to convince adcoms I'm no longer an idiot? Coupled with a good MCAT. I am a urm female (african american) located in Florida.

Any and all advice is welcome.
Do well on the MCAT, and finish off those last credits well.

Reactions: 1 user