Need Advice: Should I retake my DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr.Dentist17

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I just took my DAT today and am not totally happy with my scores. I got: QR-20 PAT-20 Reading-23 Bio-18 Ochem-17 and Gen Chem-20. My TS was 18 and AA was 20. I recently lost my grandmother and wasn't able to focus as much these past couple of weeks so I think that played a role in getting a lower score. My GPA is 3.5 and sGPS is around a 3.2-3.3. I want to apply this cycle and am just not sure if I should retake the DAT in august or just apply with this DAT and see as they aren't horrible scores but aren't good either. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!
 
Hi, first I would like to say I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother, I am sure that made it hard to focus on your studies. Your scores are far from horrible and depending on where you are applying you have a good chance at interviews at some schools, your science GPA is on the lower side, so I would make sure to contact schools with your stats and get their advice too.

Wishing you the best

Nancy, co/owner, DAT Destroyer
 
Hi guys, I just took my DAT today and am not totally happy with my scores. I got: QR-20 PAT-20 Reading-23 Bio-18 Ochem-17 and Gen Chem-20. My TS was 18 and AA was 20. I recently lost my grandmother and wasn't able to focus as much these past couple of weeks so I think that played a role in getting a lower score. My GPA is 3.5 and sGPS is around a 3.2-3.3. I want to apply this cycle and am just not sure if I should retake the DAT in august or just apply with this DAT and see as they aren't horrible scores but aren't good either. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!
I'm sorry to hear the loss of your grandmother. If you think you can pull those scores, especially Biology and Organic Chemistry I would consider retaking the exam before August. The good news is everything should still be relatively fresh in your mind so it shouldn't take you too long to prepare.
 
I'm sorry to hear the loss of your grandmother. If you think you can pull those scores, especially Biology and Organic Chemistry I would consider retaking the exam before August. The good news is everything should still be relatively fresh in your mind so it shouldn't take you too long to prepare.
Yes I think I can improve those scores but I am not sure how much I can improve on the other ones. I have heard that if you retake the DAT dental schools like to see a big improvement in all sections so I'm scared even if I improve bio and ochem I won't improve the others as much or end up doing worse.
 
Yes I think I can improve those scores but I am not sure how much I can improve on the other ones. I have heard that if you retake the DAT dental schools like to see a big improvement in all sections so I'm scared even if I improve bio and ochem I won't improve the others as much or end up doing worse.
I have worked with many students through the years facing this same dilemma , that is why I strongly urge you to contact the schools you want to attend and get their advice before retaking the DAT, especially if you have concerns of scoring lower.

Nancy