Need Advice: USC & UCLA MSW Program vs. Smith

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ss1112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best clinical programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm currently working in the entertainment industry, and I've decided to make a switch to go back to school to get my MSW (or MFT/PsyD.... but that's another highly debated topic that I won't get into on this post). I have a BA from a highly ranked university in developmental psychology, and I also have an MSc in an unrelated field from a top international university.

I am currently living in the Los Angeles area, and I am looking at USC and UCLA. My goal is to become a therapist. Would anybody recommend either of those programs for clinical work? What has your experience been like? Is the coursework challenging? Do you feel prepared to do clinical work? How are the professors and the administrators? Are they supportive in helping you secure internships, etc.?

In addition to USC and UCLA several people have recommended the Smith program to me because of the strong clinical focus and the ability to go back to Los Angeles during the Fall and Spring semesters.

Any insight that you can give me on USC/UCLA/Smith or another school's program would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you!

I really don't mean this to sound snarky. Read the tone as one of concern:

If you make the kind of money in the entertainment industry where you can afford private tuition on that scale (approx $80,000 for an MSW at at least one of those schools) you should probably stay in entertainment. That's a huge debt to work off on a social worker's salary.

I really don't mean this to sound snarky. Read the tone as one of concern:

If you make the kind of money in the entertainment industry where you can afford private tuition on that scale (approx $80,000 for an MSW at at least one of those schools) you should probably stay in entertainment. That's a huge debt to work off on a social worker's salary.
I understand your concern. I am not embarking on this journey in order to make a ton of money. I am very aware that I can make more money in other fields, but that is not where my heart is. I simply want to know if anybody knows about the quality of these programs and what the experience is like.

Thanks for the reply.