Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UT_VOL_17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a current situation that has me stressing like crazy.

Stats:
B.S. Ed. in Kinesiology from The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

GPA: 3.12 (will move up slightly from summer class)
PreReq GPA: 3.3-3.5 depending on the school
GRE: V154 Q152 and 4.0 AW

Observation Hours: 1100+ as a tech in an outpatient clinic, 60 in D1 sports rehab clinic, and 20 from UT Medical Center acute and wound care setting.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know why it posted before I could could finish my profile but to continue

Extra Curricular Activities: Big Brothers Big Sisters Mentor for two years, Kinesiology Student Association, Dean Undergraduate Advisory Council, Provost Advisory Council, Graduate Research Assistant in Biomechanics, President of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., and Freshman Minority Student Mentor

Honors: Company award as a tech for exceeding the scope of my job, Deans List, and President of the year for all Panhellenic and National Panhellenic councils

Also, was a department manager for Jos. A. Bank. for two years if that means anything

My concern is should I apply early decision to school that I have a high chance of getting into , or take the risk and go after a few of my dream schools. I dont want to miss out on the opportunity to attend Fall 15. Any advice on what I should do? I feel that my experience and involvement stick out and I have a great story. I was the first of my immediate family to graduate high school, and I want to show my younger family members a better way. I need your help pleas.

Do your dream schools have rolling admissions?

Nobody can tell you what you should do. There are pros/cons to whatever decision you make. How badly do you want to go to the early decision school vs. the dream schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which school are you thinking about doing early decision? I'm applying to UTHSC early decision. I think there was one of the schools in the state that pretty much filled their class with early decision.

Which school are you thinking about doing early decision? I'm applying to UTHSC early decision. I think there was one of the schools in the state that pretty much filled their class with early decision.

My top two choices would be UTHSC and Mercer. I have connected with both schools on visits, and have even gone as far as conversing through email with the chair at Mercer. The chair at Mercer sent my information to the co-chairs of admissions, I dont want to get too excited about that because I know how things get put in a pile at times, and is possibly reviewing my student profile I sent her with my essays and story.

The school that I was planning on going early decision was TSU. I have also met with their department and he has asked my bossed that sat on the board about a few times, and I think my chances of getting in there are higher than the others

and seeing as though they do not include undergrad gpa in determining if you get in or not that increases my chances a little more.

Them not using cumulative GPA is great for you. I didn't know they did it like that. You're competitive aside from the cumulative GPA. As far as whether to do early decision or not, base that on how much more you like the preferred schools or if you'd be pretty much as happy at the safer choice. You can look through the stats sticky at top and try to get an idea of if people with similar numbers to you were getting in or not too. That post if pretty huge, but has a lot of information in it. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Them not using cumulative GPA is great for you. I didn't know they did it like that. You're competitive aside from the cumulative GPA. As far as whether to do early decision or not, base that on how much more you like the preferred schools or if you'd be pretty much as happy at the safer choice. You can look through the stats sticky at top and try to get an idea of if people with similar numbers to you were getting in or not too. That post if pretty huge, but has a lot of information in it. Best of luck!
Thanks for the advice. This process is so stressful and I cant wait until it is over.