Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkheovmians

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post (sorry if I'm breaking any rules).

I'm currently registered for the August 5th MCAT test date and not really sure if I should retake. I submitted my apps mid June and am waiting to be verified (submitted to 22 DO schools). I've been studying but am not entirely confident whether or not I should retake. Here are my stats:

Asian, disadvantaged
cGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.38
MCAT 1st take (2013): 26
MCAT 2nd take (2014): 27 (8/9/10)
decent LoRs: 1 DO, 1 MD, rest are professors, mentors, and employers
2 years of research (200+ hours w/ 1 poster presentation, no pubs)
500+ hours of clinical volunteering (including voluntary scribing)
200+ hours of shadowing (various specialties of DO & MD)
Helped organize community service event that raised over 10k for abuse victims
TA for intro bio course for a semester
Leadership positions for mentor/ student government-style service org on campus

I'll also be doing a smp at a DO school this upcoming fall. What do you guys think? Should I retake or will I be okay? If I decide to cancel the scheduled test date will I need to let the schools know? Thanks for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine- I wouldn't worry about retaking your MCAT as your current stats are enough for many (though not all) schools. Some of the schools that are known for having higher averages include AZCOM, CCOM, Western, OU-HCOM, Touros, PCOM, Rowan and NYIT. Although I wouldn't rule these schools out, know that you are much below their mean (MCAT and/or GPA).

Also, I would NOT recommend doing the SMP unless you're not financially worried about the cost (i.e. parents flipping the bill)- your current GPA is average for many schools and isn't that big of a concern. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
First post (sorry if I'm breaking any rules).

I'm currently registered for the August 5th MCAT test date and not really sure if I should retake. I submitted my apps mid June and am waiting to be verified (submitted to 22 DO schools). I've been studying but am not entirely confident whether or not I should retake. Here are my stats:

Asian, disadvantaged
cGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.38
MCAT 1st take (2013): 26
MCAT 2nd take (2014): 27 (8/9/10)
decent LoRs: 1 DO, 1 MD, rest are professors, mentors, and employers
2 years of research (200+ hours w/ 1 poster presentation, no pubs)
500+ hours of clinical volunteering (including voluntary scribing)
200+ hours of shadowing (various specialties of DO & MD)
Helped organize community service event that raised over 10k for abuse victims
TA for intro bio course for a semester
Leadership positions for mentor/ student government-style service org on campus

I'll also be doing a smp at a DO school this upcoming fall. What do you guys think? Should I retake or will I be okay? If I decide to cancel the scheduled test date will I need to let the schools know? Thanks for the feedback.

With your stats and ECs you should be fine. Don't retake the MCAT. Don't do a SMP. You've applied broadly. Sit back, relax, and wait for secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your stats and ECs you should be fine. Don't retake the MCAT. Don't do a SMP. You've applied broadly. Sit back, relax, and wait for secondaries.
+1 don't risk it

Yeah, I wouldn't retake the MCAT, unless you can guarantee you can get a 505 or higher... You'll be okay at some medical schools.

Also, you don't need SMP. You may end up screwing yourself over in the long run if you do SMP. You'll have to guarantee you'll do extremely well, otherwise you're convincing med schools you can't handle their curriculum.

Agreed. I would not retake.

Why are you applying this cycle if you're doing an SMP?
If you get in this cycle you wasted 40k on the SMP...

Why are you applying this cycle if you're doing an SMP?
If you get in this cycle you wasted 40k on the SMP...
Really just hoping that it will give me some type of edge at the host school. They've stressed that doing well in the program helps students get in (as most smp's promise) . If I get accepted somewhere then I may drop out of the program. If I don't receive any acceptances then at least I can try and improve my stats.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I won't be retaking the MCAT. This is exactly the kind advice I was looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
Just be aware you won't be able to get your money back if you're IN the program, which I'm sure you know. By the time second semester rolls around, and you're in it and it's paid for, you may as well just finish it off, if anything for the extra knowledge you may gain.

Unless you decided no SMP, which I hope you did...