Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Need advice!

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by DNA-RL, Apr 22, 2004.

1. DNA-RL

DNA-RL Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi I have a family member who changed her major from microbiology to psychology and who now wishes to attend pharmacy school. Her GPA is 2.6 cumulative, her science is around the same ball park but a bit lower. She has all the prereqs completed and she's a student at UC Davis. She plans to apply for the fall 2005 term at UOP and loma linda. Do any of you pre-pharm or pharm students have any input as far as her chances and what other schools she should apply for. Thank you for your help.

2. imperial frog

imperial frog Pharm.D
    5+ Year Member

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the GPA is going to make it extremely difficult. Just because of the competition, all of the schools that I've gotten info from said that they pretty much don't even look at a GPA under 3.0.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 64microbus

64microbus Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It's going to be tough to get into UOP with a 2.6ish. I don't know about Loma Linda - if she goes to church on Saturdays that might help. But GPAs aren't everything. One can bolster their app in many other ways: work, research, and volunteer experience to name a few. Without meaning to offend anybody at Western, she might consider applying there also. I think their mean GPA may be slightly lower than some of the other Cali pharm schools. Getting into any pharmacy school is an accomplishment. Lastly, I'd turn her on to this site. It's a great resource in educating yourself on all things pre-pharm. Microbus out

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Its not impossble to get accepted with a 2.6, but its definitely not going to be easy. She shouldnt let her GPA stop her, but it may make her struggle trying to get accepted take a little bit longer. IMO, it might be a good idea to go ahead and apply but to realize that she might not get accepted this time around. She needs to take several upper level (depending on her level right now) science classes and a nice load at that, to prove to the adcom that she can handle pharmacy school. If she can really get things together and start improving that GPA it will help. I know lots of times adcoms will look at recent grades more strongly than they do grades that are way in the past. It would also help if she had pharmacy experience, had good letters of recommendation and was involved in lots of extracurricular activities... note REALLY involved, not just a member. If she really wants to do this, she might even consider completing a BS degree, if she could finish it with exceptional grades it might help.

GOod luck!

5. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Um... I had a 3.69 cum GPA, scored in the 99th percentile on the PCAT and got into the University of Washington on my second try.

The outlook for your friend does not look good. She would need to retake all prerequisite classes in which she scored poorly, and demonstrate that she can perform well in school. If she wants to have a realistic chance of entering pharmacy school, she will need to raise the bar and make a committment to performing well in school. Ideally she will have 95% A's and B's in her prerequisites, with not over 1/3 B's. Admission requirements are not very flexible, because of the competitive nature of the programs.

6. EarlyEditionDude

EarlyEditionDude Membership Revoked
    Removed

My advice for your sis is for her to graduate and take some upper division science courses. Thats right, with that or enroll in some post-bac program. If she does well (>3.5gpa), then her chances of getting in will be much much greater. A 2.6 is very low for anyone who is applying this summer. Then again occasionally you here people with her stats getting in! :)

7. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    She might want to call/email admissions offices and talk to them directly about what she might need to do as well. She might want to apply to private schools as well on both coasts.

Good Luck. Never say never. If she really wants to attend p-school, she will find a way to do it. :luck:

8. I think thats a great idea about calling the admissions office, they could probably offer her some good advice!

I think the most important thing is that if she really wants to do this she doesnt give up. It is possible to get in with less than perfect stats. IMO, I'd spend more time on taking upper level science classes and perhaps finishing a BS degree rather than retaking the prereqs. I think a big improvement in grades where the improvement lasts and the student has several semesters of excellent grades can do wonders for her chances.

9. loo

loo Always Sleepy
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Sage advice, kim31kim!!! ;)