Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mizukiMoore

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am new to this forum so I'm not sure where to put this but I nerd some advice. I want to become a veterinarian and is currently at a community college working on the prerequisites. But I was trying to decide if I should work on getting a veterinary assistant certification after I graduate and work my way up from there. Or would it be best to go straight to my four year and vet school.
 
Hi I am new to this forum so I'm not sure where to put this but I nerd some advice. I want to become a veterinarian and is currently at a community college working on the prerequisites. But I was trying to decide if I should work on getting a veterinary assistant certification after I graduate and work my way up from there. Or would it be best to go straight to my four year and vet school.
Veterinary assistant certifications are, quite honestly, pointless and a waste of time/money. The vast majority of us learned on the job and are in no way disadvantaged for not having gotten a certificate. It really won't net you a better hourly wage or set you on top of most other applicants for a job. Right now, I would work on keeping your GPA as high as possible while getting veterinary experience (shadowing, volunteering, starting out as a receptionist, or getting an assistant job) while completing your pre-reqs.
 
Veterinary assistant certifications are, quite honestly, pointless and a waste of time/money. The vast majority of us learned on the job and are in no way disadvantaged for not having gotten a certificate. It really won't net you a better hourly wage or set you on top of most other applicants for a job. Right now, I would work on keeping your GPA as high as possible while getting veterinary experience (shadowing, volunteering, starting out as a receptionist, or getting an assistant job) while completing your pre-reqs.