Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Capsa1738

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my bachelors degree about a year ago and graduated with about a 3.0 gpa. During the past year I've retaken a bunch of the classes I did poorly in at my local CC and raised my sGPA and cGPA to a little over a 3.3. I did really well on the MCAT and scored a 522. I also have shadowed multiple doctors (all DOs in family medicine) and have hundred of hours of clinical experience plus some pretty unique ECs/experiences. What do my chances for the upcoming cycle look like? Should I apply to an SMP?

Members don't see this ad.

a 522 is an amazing MCAT score! I think you may need to explain the GPA trend but other than that you seem like a good applicant, in my opinion.

Your chances look very good, send an application to AZCOM, CCOM, and Touros, they will definitely send you an II with that MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so! I don't really know how to explain my GPA though...

Schools will see your application like this

............. 522!!!!!!! ..................

You're good. Maybe throw some apps at your state school for MD. You never know, you might get lucky. For DO aim for the ones that love MCATs. Eh. CCOM, AZCOM, the coastal Touros.

Also if you want to bone for the MD you would be a solid SMP applicant. Just make sure you have fixed your study habits and get above a 3.7

Yeah I'm definitely counting on my MCAT to bolster my chances and I think my GPA is high enough to avoid any prescreening. I'm not really interested in MD, but would be willing to apply to any SMPs that help me get a DO acceptance. My main concern is being grilled during my interview about my grades. Do adcoms typically question applicants about their grade trends and every bad grade they've gotten or do they mainly look at the overall number?

Yeah I'm definitely counting on my MCAT to bolster my chances and I think my GPA is high enough to avoid any prescreening. I'm not really interested in MD, but would be willing to apply to any SMPs that help me get a DO acceptance. My main concern is being grilled during my interview about my grades. Do adcoms typically question applicants about their grade trends and every bad grade they've gotten or do they mainly look at the overall number?

You might get questioned. Just discuss how you struggled a bit with whatever (maturity, learning good study habits, etc) and how the past year you matured and once you decided on becoming a dr you got yourself on track and improved academically. They might question how you've improved? why you think you can do well in med school? etc... It might be 1 question among many and as long as you don't make excuses and can show the adcoms you've grown and will be good in med school you will be fine. Best of Luck

Start applying 6/1/16!

I got my bachelors degree about a year ago and graduated with about a 3.0 gpa. During the past year I've retaken a bunch of the classes I did poorly in at my local CC and raised my sGPA and cGPA to a little over a 3.3. I did really well on the MCAT and scored a 522. I also have shadowed multiple doctors (all DOs in family medicine) and have hundred of hours of clinical experience plus some pretty unique ECs/experiences. What do my chances for the upcoming cycle look like? Should I apply to an SMP?

You have a 3.3 correct? Is that cumalative and science? If so you should be good GPA wise for all DO schools, especially with that MCAT

Yes that's correct, but most of my GPA improvement came from the classes I took at my local CC after I graduated with my bachelors, so I'm not sure how much weight that will be given.

OP, I'd also recommend applying to some MD schools that take CC credits, newer ones, mid-lower tier ones, etc. Your stats are such that you might potentially be able to score some interviews, especially depending on if you have in-state schools with IS preference. I agree with not delaying your app for DO as well. Apply to both and see what happens.

And then report back, it will be interesting to see how your cycle turns out with that MCAT score. It is basically a wildcard

As I am sure you are aware, 522 is top 1%. I had a similar GPA and got IIs for both DO and MD with a ~515. Every interview I had to give an account for the discrepancy between my MCAT and GPA. I explained how I've matured, and how my previous grades aren't representative of my current character. I am sure you will get hella love with that score. Congratulations dude/ette, many people would kill for that score.

Reactions: 1 users
I would also look at where the DO's you shadowed went to school. Try to get a letter of rec from them. I had similar stats and ended up getting many interviews. Add KCU-COM, DMU and KCOM to your list. Really it can't hurt to apply to many schools...the worst they can say is no

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks for the input everyone. I think have a decent chance as well, but I would also like to apply to some SMPs in case I don't get an acceptance this cycle. Anyone know of any programs that might give me a better chance of getting an acceptance during the 2017-2018 cycle assuming that I don't get an acceptance this cycle? I've read about a few that give a guaranteed acceptance/interview contingent on a strong performance in the program, but wanted some additional input in this regard based on my gpa/mcat.

I don't know much about SMPs (aside from being expensive), but if your GPA and MCAT are what you state they are (3.3, 522), you shouldn't have to worry about completing an SMP.

curious, why aren't you interested in MD?

Mainly because I don't think I have a chance for MD.