need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCDC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a few questions. I am a junior in undergrad right now. I was originally planning on taking a gap year and therefore I still have a lot to work on application wise and may not have all my letters of Rec until late august/early September which for most universities is really late. I also know my application will be much stronger if I wait another year.

However, earlier this year I found out about a new medical school opening really close to my house for the 2017 year. This university is offering full ride scholarships to everyone in their incoming which could save my family a ton of money. The application for this school doesn't open until October so I could definitely get my application together by then but I also know that applying to only one school is really risky. I would definitely just apply to the one school this cycle if it wasn't for the fact that I would appear as a re-applicant everywhere if I have to reapply to medical schools next cycle since I wanted to have a gap year anyway.

In this situation what would you all of you recommend. Just trying a bunch of places this cycle and sending out a less competitive application this cycle or just trying the one school and then reapply next cycle should I not get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Attending a brand new school is risky in its own right. Nothing is free in life. They will use you to iron out kinks, residencies will have no idea what your training was like, research opportunities may be harder to come by, every lecture will be brand new without decades of feedback like established schools will have, etc.

1.) I find it odd that a school would open it's application in October when almost every other medical school in the country does so in late May and early June.

2.) If full tuition is legitimate, you're not the only one with this idea and while it may be financially advantageous, I'd assume you'd need to be very competitive for that specific school and their mission, since new schools tend to really adhere to their mission statements early on.

3.) Applying is a huge process that requires a lot of legwork, even if you're only applying to one school. I think most people here stick to the mantra of "do it once, do it right." I rushed an application last year and it didn't go well. Just my 0.02, though. I'm sure others will have different viewpoints. Good luck.

P.S. - For the record (and to my knowledge), the schools will ask you if you are a re-applicant to their specific school. In this instance, you would only be a re-applicant to that specific school, not others. So you could avoid that label.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I have a few questions. I am a junior in undergrad right now. I was originally planning on taking a gap year and therefore I still have a lot to work on application wise and may not have all my letters of Rec until late august/early September which for most universities is really late. I also know my application will be much stronger if I wait another year.

However, earlier this year I found out about a new medical school opening really close to my house for the 2017 year. This university is offering full ride scholarships to everyone in their incoming which could save my family a ton of money. The application for this school doesn't open until October so I could definitely get my application together by then but I also know that applying to only one school is really risky. I would definitely just apply to the one school this cycle if it wasn't for the fact that I would appear as a re-applicant everywhere if I have to reapply to medical schools next cycle since I wanted to have a gap year anyway.

In this situation what would you all of you recommend. Just trying a bunch of places this cycle and sending out a less competitive application this cycle or just trying the one school and then reapply next cycle should I not get in.

You should totally wait another year and only apply to one school.

Its not that competitive to get into med school anyways.

That way you'll get that sweet guaranteed scholarship moneyz.

Attending a brand new school is risky in its own right. Nothing is free in life. They will use you to iron out kinks, residencies will have no idea what your training was like, research opportunities may be harder to come by, every lecture will be brand new without decades of feedback like established schools will have, etc.

I know a school about 5 years in and they are still struggling to get a decent rep. Their applicants for residency routinely get poo-pooed. Think about that... you may save some money now... but who knows where your future may go.

But hell, go for it if you want. Being a reapplicant doesn't mean sheeet anymore because 60% of applicants fail on any given year, so that means you've got a lot more company than you think :D

Reactions: 1 user