Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLSGrasshopper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I don't finish all my cores (had to take 2 electives in between) by October-November. I want to apply for the 2017 match, since I should be done with all my remaining electives by May-June 2017. I would like to know if it is better to sit for CK in August, or postpone and apply for the 2018 match. I'm a US-IMG.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't delay. Very dumb. You're shooting yourself in the foot for no legitimate reason.

The match rate for American graduates falls to around 50% after just one year. Of course, there are confounding factors, but why would you risk it? Plenty of medical students take Step 2CK/CS during clinicals with no trouble.

In fact, you should have Step 2CK/CS done and dusted by September, since more programs are making it an application requirement for IMGs. You're way behind the curve and you need to catch up. Again, this reflects as poor planning.

I'm really sorry if this comes across as harsh, and I know it's a stressful decision, but that's the unvarnished truth.

Last edited: