****NEED ADVICE****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butters Stotch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I hope this message finds you well and extremely grateful for taking the time out to help me out. I am currently in my gap year and sitting on two DO acceptances with no MDs yet. I am extremely interested in orthopaedic surgery and I know going DO is an uphill battle but that has been the story of my life and up for the challenge. I need advice on what I should have accomplished/done by the end of each year of medical school so I can have a successful match come Match Day. Any advice in terms of grades/boards/research/extracurriculars/rotations/leadership/LORs is greatly appreciated. Also any advice on what I should be doing in my gap year before the start of medical school. Again thank you for your time and energy.

Members don't see this ad.

Involve yourself in ortho research your first year. Publish as much as you can. If you're dead set on ortho, consider a research year between years 3-4 even. Score 255+ on Step 1. Idk about COMLEX but do well on that too. Become president of ortho interest group at your school.

Introduce yourself to ortho attendings at your institution during your first year of school. Let them know you're interested, shadow them, do research with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a hard residency either MD or DO. I don't think being an MD increases your ortho chances. So go to the cheapest school, work your ass off and score high on your boards.

10 years ago this was probably true purely based on applicant to seat ratios and what it took to land DO ortho. Currently the MD increases your ortho chances by quite a bit because of the rapid expansion happening amongst DO schools that is increasing the applicant pool every year for roughly the same number of spots (currently looks like we'll lose a few because of the merger but 35/41 programs now have accreditation with maybe one or two holdouts that will get it at the last second so it isn't as bad as was predicted).

Reactions: 1 user