Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted820760

Have you been in a situation where you are interviewing multiple places, and you have them ranked in your head? Somewhere that’s lower on the rank offers you a job first. What do you do? You don’t know if you’ll get other offers, so it’s not a good idea to turn it down unless you absolutely do not want to work there. But it’s also a douche move to accept the job then back out if you get a better offer. Especially if you’ve already started training. Advice on the best thing to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I told my preferred employer that I got a bad offer elsewhere and I’d rather decline it, but needed to feed my family. So if they were planning on making an offer, it would be prudent to do it soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Is the lower ranked place an actual offer? If it is, I'm starting to think there is no such thing as a douche move in the current job market. The lower ranked place is better than the current place or you wouldn't even consider it.

Let me ask you this. There is this place I'm applying to and they are notoriously slow. It might take months to hear back from them and I already had my interview. I'm still hoping. There is no point in trying to speed up their selection process because they will just go with someone else. So should I just not apply anywhere else? Should I reject any other job offer? You know I shouldn't. There are no guarantees anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I told my preferred employer that I got a bad offer elsewhere and I’d rather decline it, but needed to feed my family. So if they were planning on making an offer, it would be prudent to do it soon.
But didn’t that other place want an answer right away? How long were they willing to wait? And did your preferred place give you an offer right after you said that?

Is the lower ranked place an actual offer? If it is, I'm starting to think there is no such thing as a douche move in the current job market. The lower ranked place is better than the current place or you wouldn't even consider it.

Let me ask you this. There is this place I'm applying to and they are notoriously slow. It might take months to hear back from them and I already had my interview. I'm still hoping. There is no point in trying to speed up their selection process because they will just go with someone else. So should I just not apply anywhere else? Should I reject any other job offer? You know I shouldn't. There are no guarantees anymore.
So if you accept another job offer, and then that slow place that you’d rather work finally comes through with the offer, what do you do?

I would put in my 2 weeks and sign on with my preferred place.

Look, a douche move is getting rid of people and then texting/calling them to hire them back up for much lower rate (hello Walgreens). A sad reality is CVS hiring seasonal people, giving them 40 hours a week during flu shot season and then nothing once those hours dry up.

You, training for a few weeks, and then moving on for a better job offer, is just financial loss to your lower ranked job. Give them extra week or two if they need more time to find a replacement but they will be just fine.

The company will survive if you leave right after accepting. Just don't count on returning there.

Have you been in a situation where you are interviewing multiple places, and you have them ranked in your head? Somewhere that’s lower on the rank offers you a job first. What do you do? You don’t know if you’ll get other offers, so it’s not a good idea to turn it down unless you absolutely do not want to work there. But it’s also a douche move to accept the job then back out if you get a better offer. Especially if you’ve already started training. Advice on the best thing to do.

You have been taught well as a “good human being” which is why you think it’s a douche move to take a job and quit shortly thereafter if a better opportunity comes up. However you are completely wrong in thinking this.

Our economy is a capitalist economy. The way things are now, the company will take advantage of you in any way possible. We tent to forget that this is a two way street. Do not be afraid to take as much from your employer (legally and ethically of course) as you can. If you are offered a job you have every right in the world to accept or decline the job. When you are employees, as a worker in this economy built to take advantage of each other, you are also entirely within your rights to take a job that meets your needs better.

Do what is best for you and your family - always. Do not be afraid to make a decision.

Reactions: 2 users
That is true. Douche move or not, you could never be as douchey as our employers. Do what is best for you with a clear conscience....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
But didn’t that other place want an answer right away? How long were they willing to wait? And did your preferred place give you an offer right after you said that?
No non-scam says “I’m offering you a job but only for the next 47 seconds!” I got the preferred job offer within 36 hours while the first offer was still working through the bureaucracy of the hiring process.

It's tough, but you need to remove emotions from the hiring process:

I would tell the 1st employer you are waiting on an offer from another place but will have a decision by ___ date.
I would then tell the 2nd employer you have received an offer from another place and are eager for their decision - I would not necessarily give them a deadline, but put the pressure on them to decide sooner.

If 2nd employer doesn't get back to you by your decision date, take the 1st employer's offer. If 2nd employer makes an offer that is better then give two weeks notice to 1st employer (Be prepared to burn this bridge). If they don't extend an offer you still have the 1st job.

Reactions: 2 users