NEED ADVICE!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Al'19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently licensed and received two offers:
1. Full time position (35hr/week, low 6-figs, salaried) at a 3-letter chain
2. A 2 month contract staff position(mid 50's/hr)at a top hospital in NY (with a possibility of contract extension).
Also, worked at the hospital as a tech about a year ago.
Would really love to get that invaluable hospital pharmacist experience, but also concerned about long-term job security.
PS; I'm a foreign-grad, single, with $ 0 in student loans.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would choose the hospital.

Better chance of getting another retail job if hospital gig doesn't last than the other way around.

Experience > job security when you don't have either at the moment anyways, unless you are seriously strapped for cash.

Reactions: 2 users
I would totally pick the hospital (esp. with being single and not having loans). But that's just me.

What are your long-term career goals?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would totally pick the hospital (esp. with being single and not having loans). But that's just me.

What are your long-term career goals?
Actually leaning towards the hospital too. Long-term goal is to be an in-patient/ hospital pharmacist.
Really wished the hours were more flexible so I could attempt doing both, at least for the duration of the contract tenure.

Just curious why is the contract only 2 months? Won't it take like at least 2 weeks to learn their system?

Just curious why is the contract only 2 months? Won't it take like at least 2 weeks to learn their system?
Same question I asked(although I am actually quite familiar with the system), but apparently the position was created due to an immediate need for a pharmacist with some IV / sterile compounding experience as a result of the pandemic, hence the likelihood of an extension after the initial two months.
If I eventually accept the offer, I hope to leverage my prior relationships in the department, and hopefully secure a more permanent arrangement.
I should also add that the contract is facilitated by a healthcare recruiting agency.

Last edited:
It’s so you’re fired soon by default. If they were just an open ended hire HR wouldn’t let you cut them loose after 8 weeks for being unpopular.

Recently licensed and received two offers
2. A 2 month contract staff position(mid 50's/hr)at a top hospital in NY (with a possibility of contract extension).
Would really love to get that invaluable hospital pharmacist experience, but also concerned about long-term job security.
CVS is not a cool workplace. Take any other job.

as it is mentioned in the above comment, any job is better than CVS. Plus you don't have student loans, so you can easily take this opportunity.
you were a tech there and they are offering you a job, means that you are really good at building relationships and connections. In worst case if they don't extend, those two months of experience will help you to grab other hospital job quickly. On the other hand if you choose CVS and work for them for a few years, it will almost close the hospital doors for you. Go with your hospital, you will never regret your decision. On a side note, your contract position may not offer you health insurance, but just so you know CVS health insurance is crappy with high deductible anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Since you're a new grad with no debt, I'd say go with the hospital, lest you end up in the golden handcuffs like myself. Retail pharmacy will eat your soul.

Since you're a new grad with no debt, I'd say go with the hospital, lest you end up in the golden handcuffs like myself. Retail pharmacy will eat your soul.
The golden handcuffs aren't even that golden nowadays

Take the hospital job
Retail jobs will be available in 2 months, especially with COVID vaccine on its way

Reactions: 1 users
I have two nuggets that will help you:

1. Take the hospital job.
2. Turn off caps lock.

As others have pointed out, hospital is Mrs. Right, not Mrs. Right Now.

Recently licensed and received two offers:
hospital all the way .. you will NOT regret it

Thank you all for the insights.
Was able to work out something with my former manager at the hospital, and just got an offer as a per diem pharmacist(no contract).
Also took the retail job and will try to navigate both until something more sustainable hopefully opens up at the hospital.

Last edited:
  • Love
Smart man/woman. Thank you for providing an update!