need advice!

simsima03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2003
    hey all,

i am a re-applicant to schools this year. Last year, I was put on the priority waitlist at NYCOM .... which unfortunately, they never ended up resorting to waitlists b/c their class was completely booked.

this year-- I have not even interviewd there yet, and my primary application has been complete with them since the end of october. i am a little concerned as to what is going on... especially since last year, i was not complete until early Feb and got an interview about a week after that!

I understand that every year the applicants are different and might be more competitive this year... But do you think that I should call the admissions office and try to speak to the director of admissions? I would love to go there...it's definetly my 1st choice.... and i've been trying to be patient w/ the process .. but now im just curious as to what's going on.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :confused:

ntmed

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Oct 18, 2004
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      simsima03 said:
      hey all,

i am a re-applicant to schools this year. Last year, I was put on the priority waitlist at NYCOM .... which unfortunately, they never ended up resorting to waitlists b/c their class was completely booked.

this year-- I have not even interviewd there yet, and my primary application has been complete with them since the end of october. i am a little concerned as to what is going on... especially since last year, i was not complete until early Feb and got an interview about a week after that!

I understand that every year the applicants are different and might be more competitive this year... But do you think that I should call the admissions office and try to speak to the director of admissions? I would love to go there...it's definetly my 1st choice.... and i've been trying to be patient w/ the process .. but now im just curious as to what's going on.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :confused:
      A few things come to mind.

1. It sounds like you applied late in the process the last 2 years. You should submit your application on the very first day they are accepted, which is June 1st. Most medical schools select the people they will interview by early September. Getting your material in early is the easiest way to increase your chances of getting accepted.

2. What things did you do to improve yourself before you reapplied? Many schools will not consider reapplicants unless they have strengthened their application.

3. How many schools did you apply to? You only talk about NYCOM. The average applicant applies to 11 schools. If your GPA or MCAT is below average (3.6 GPA, 30 MCAT), you should apply to much more than 11 schools.

4. Did you get any feedback from your first application? If you haven't done so, talk to your premed advisor about ways to improve your application. Some medical schools will also give you feedback.

Best of luck.

lemurlover

All night dancer
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jan 23, 2005
      Northern beachy california
        I would email admissions and tell them just how much you want to go there, that it's your #1! The fact that you were waitlisted in february means they probably wanted you and just didn't have the space by the time your file was complete.

If you email, you might wanna say something like "I know how busy you must be right now, and I felt compelled to contact you because nycom is my first choice..."

Best luck. Sounds like you have a good shot!

About the Ads

domsport

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Sep 3, 2003
          lemurlover said:
          I would email admissions and tell them just how much you want to go there, that it's your #1! The fact that you were waitlisted in february means they probably wanted you and just didn't have the space by the time your file was complete.

If you email, you might wanna say something like "I know how busy you must be right now, and I felt compelled to contact you because nycom is my first choice..."

Best luck. Sounds like you have a good shot!

I was in the same waitlist boat last year at NYCOM. This app cycle I made it absolutely clear that I wanted to attend their program. I attended the open house and met with the director of admissions, I also wrote letters to the director of admisions explaining how I was waitlisted last year and that I am still eager to attend. I explained in detail how I improved my application. I recieved an early interview and was accepted this time! My advice is to be proactive in your re-application. Do not fall by the wayside and wait! Call, write, attend functions!Let them get to know you and your desire to attend!

Good luck :thumbup:

PBMaxx

MS4
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Aug 26, 2004
          Illinois
          1. Medical Student
            Definitely, definitely, definitely send in a letter of intent. Make it a 50-50 mix of selling yourself and what stands out about their school to you. Be specific.

A caveat though, don't be that "annoying" applicant that calls the Admissions Office every other day.

Be proactive, not annoying.

Good Luck :luck:

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.