Need advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannaBdoc01

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently a junior in college and am planning on applying to DO schools in the summer. I have taken the MCATs (April 00) and am awaiting the results. Just recently I have had interviews with my school's "Health Committee"- and a few things have come up. First, I was just recently informed that I have to repeat 2 classes (genetics and physiological systems)- 2 classes that I took Freshman year and got C-'s in. They said that DO schools won't accept them. I have been in upper level Bio classes for awhile and am doing fine. Should I even bother repeating the 2 classes? Also, an advisor of mine has frowned upon my selection of upper-levels because "they are not medically- oriented" (i.e. Vert.Morpholgy, Diseases of the Brain, and Neurobiology). My philosophy has been to take classes in Bio that I wouldn't be able to in Med school- however prof. keep telling me to take extra courses in Medically related fields because "that's what they look for." What do you guys think? Also, I guess I should add that I have a 3.0 GPA overall and in sciences with some extracir./vol/hospital exp. The advice I have been receiving has been spilt- some say that I should look into something else (which I doubt I would do) and then others keep telling me they think I have a chance. Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated. Sorry I took so long to get to the point
smile.gif

wannaBadoc01

Members don't see this ad.

Your advisors are right! Althogh grades are not the only factor in med applications, it is the MOST important factor.

You have to get your GPA up. Despite what you may hear to the contrary, GPA is still the major factor that Adcoms look at. The MCAT (a dubious test at best), they can let it slide a bit, but not GPA. You have to at least make the first cut to the second round if you hope to get farther.

Remember, ADcom are people and anything that makes their job easier, they will jump at it. Since judging candidate can be subjective, numbers certainly make things easier (GPA & MCAT).

Consider these two candidates:

1) GPA > 3.8 & MCAT >30 & little extracurricular activities

2) GPA ~3.0 & MCAT >30 & lots & lots of extracurricular

Who do you think they will invite?

Even though both can similar MCATs & the 2nd guy may be better rounded, the 2nd guy may not make the cut.

Your best bet is to gun for A's from here on in whatever class you take. Doing well in medically relate class will show that you can handle the medical curriculum.

So best of luck

Taking medically oriented classes will also come in handy once you get into medical school, as you will have seen some of the material before.

Cholecalciferol is right about improving your GPA. Science and overall GPA of 3.0 is weak, unless you have something else outstanding in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a DO student. You absolutely have a shot at a DO school with a GPA 3.0. My advice would be to take only those science classes required by the schools which you are applying. Only take advanced scientific courses if you enjoy then and feel you will do well. You don't need them.
Improve your GPA by taking courses you are interested in and will do well. I'm not saying to randomly take easy courses. They will pick up on that. I am saying focus on humanities and multicultural classes.
DO schools encompass a philosophy that practicing medicine is not a science, it is an artform encompassing all aspects of humanity.
I am giving you this advice as a DO student who took only the bare minimum science coursework. When asked in my interview what I thought my own weaknesses are, I answered that I am not a scientist, that I do not think like a scientist. I view science as a tool, something I can use to help people. I was accepted. my GPA was 3.1. I have never done undergrad research. I spent my undergrad free time vollunteering at a nursing home, spoonfeeding the elderly unable to do so for themselves.
I'm sorry I'm rambling. The point is, do whatever you have to do to meet minimum GPA requirements. Meet minimum coursework requirements. Your application will not be looked at if they don't. If make it through this weeding out process, then your character will be assessed and hopefully you will be given a chance.

P.S. Your advisor should be ashamed of himself/herself for pushing you toward difficult unnecessary coursework without consideration of how it may jeopardize your GPA. So should anybody else on this board who tells you that you can not be a doctor and you should immediately give up on your dreams because of something so nondescriptive and indistinct as a number like GPA 3.0

To all,

Thanks for the all of the advice, both positive and the negative (I will put it all to good use). I certainly needed the perspectives of people who have already gone through what I am going through. Advisors can only take you so far... or at least that's been my experience. Anyway, I am glad I decided to post my dilemma- you have been very helpful.

WannaBdoc01