Need advice....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the PA field out of reach for someone with about a 3.1 GPA cum and science? I am a junior and was set on nursing for some time and have those pre-reqs along with the PA pre-req except for org. chem. Ive got 2 a half yrs as a CPhT. and I was told by a close friend of the family whos a urology PA that my healthcare experience is enough. Everywhere I read on this site and the PA forum would have to disagree and that EMT and nursing are better for hands on exp. It seems as though PA school is harder to gain admission than DO school as ive read accepted student profiles with very high science GPA's. I really have a huge desire for medicine whether it be PA or DO route...but my first two yrs i slacked some and know im paying. I know I should take upper division sciences and get A's to show I can hack it, but is this going to be enough even still? I dont want to get into another healthcare field as a stepping stone for my true desire and then yet still not be competitive. I still have 2 and a half yrs if I was to get my bachelors at this point. I can bring that GPA up, but I still would be in the 3.3-3.4 range to be realistic. Do I have more of a shot at associate, bachelor, or grad PA programs? This post was a handful, but I really need some input from you guys. Thanks<Jon

Members don't see this ad.

However, I think most programs will still look at your prior medical experience and overall application in making the decision. Don't 'not' apply because you think it may be an issue. In the meantime, pull those grades up as high as possible.