need advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaqmlp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a nurse with a 3.3 overall gpa and a 3.2 bcp gpa. I have not taken the MCATs yet, but was wondering what my chances are of getting into MD or DO school in the US- assuming i do well on the MCAT's?? The reason my gpa is so low was bc I did not care about my grades when I was an undergrad. At that point in my life I was not thinking about becoming a physician. However, my post-bach undergraduate gpa is much higher. Will schools see this and consider that or am I being foolish to even think of applying??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Your grades are close to the averages for many D.O. schools, so as long as you take the MCAT and get at least in the mid 20s, you definitely have a chance.

good luck!

leo56 said:
Hi,

Your grades are close to the averages for many D.O. schools, so as long as you take the MCAT and get at least in the mid 20s, you definitely have a chance.

good luck!
good luck. i am in a similar situation do well on the mcats, get great lor's and volunteer work and good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
zaqmlp said:
Hi! I am a nurse with a 3.3 overall gpa and a 3.2 bcp gpa. I have not taken the MCATs yet, but was wondering what my chances are of getting into MD or DO school in the US- assuming i do well on the MCAT's?? The reason my gpa is so low was bc I did not care about my grades when I was an undergrad. At that point in my life I was not thinking about becoming a physician. However, my post-bach undergraduate gpa is much higher. Will schools see this and consider that or am I being foolish to even think of applying??

do well on mcat you will be fine.

For allopathic you are below the averages for most schools (not the average part though..since they do take ones with lower). Osteopathic you are fairly close to the average..if maybe a hair below. The big factor for you would be the MCAT if you get a 28+ you'll have a very strong chance for most osteopathics and if you get a 30+ or so you'll have a chance with allopathic. None of those numbers are set in stone but with the lower gpa you need to slam the mcat for allo just to negate the stuff a bit..still better than mine and nothing worth worrying about.

MCAT not MCATs ..... someone had to say it

zaqmlp said:

What was your undergrad GPA? And post-bac GPA?