Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smile786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I would really appreciate if you guys can help me or give me advice about what I should do. Here is my situation:
I have a 3.6 overall and 3.5 science GPA. I havent taken the DAT's but planning on taking it this summer. I decided to do dentistry last summer and didn't find time to shadow a dentist. Although, I did shadow a dentist over winter break for two days but ended up getting really sick and couldn't shadow for rest of the winter break. Then, spring semester started and I got caught up with research and school, so I don't really have a dentist to write me a reccomendation letter. I started shadowing a dentist this week and I don't know if I should ask her to write me a recc'd letter b/c she doesn't know me that much. Another thing is that I want to apply for fall 2008 cycle which means that the application opens up this May. My problem is that I don't know if I should apply this year for fall 2008 or should I wait for the next cycle when I can show more experience in dentistry. As for community service, I volunteered at a medical clinic one summer and during the school year I volunteer as teacher assistant for my religious education center. So I don't have anything that shows my interest in dentistry; I don't know what to do. Please give me your advice. Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

application doesn't open for like another 2 months...why don't you just continue to shadow.... in 2 months, ask the dentist for a letter. 2 months is plenty of time to warm up to the DMD you're working with..

jb!:)

I agree, keep shadowing and then ask for the letter. 2 months is plenty of time...i think you should go for it! Good luck!

Hmm. Thanks...! I have to think this out!