Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Need advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Phrm Girl 24, May 9, 2007.

1. Phrm Girl 24

Phrm Girl 24 Accepted!

Pharmacist
    Hi,

I want to apply to Nevada and Western College of pharmacy for fall 2008. I'm going to apply with out a B.A. My Gpa is 3.5 (pharmcas 3.3) science 3.7. I have A's in all the required courses an around 90 units. Does anyone know what my chances are of getting in without a B.A, and has anyone gotten in without a B.A?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SaveThisLabRat

SaveThisLabRat $700 Billion Dollar Woman

Pre-Pharmacy
    Do you have any ECs? Volunteer experience? Your GPA is great. PCAT yet?

4. Farmercyst

Farmercyst On with the Poodles already
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Well, since you can spell advice right, why not.

I applied to Western this year pseudo without a BS. They only count it if it's earned before you apply anyway. I'll have mine as of 6/26/07. I have a 3.5/3.59, A's/B's in required courses. (B's in OChemI/II, Calc II) and I got interviewed and am currently on alternate list (with about 100 other people so I'm told) I can't speak for USN. Hope this helps.

5. futurerxguy

futurerxguy Junior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Phrm Girl 24,

If you going to apply without having your Bachelors Degree, my recommendation would do it sooner rather than later. Here is a something I found from the Ohio State University on their website:

College Preparation

The faculty at Ohio State recently voted to require a Bachelors Degree for entry into the PharmD program, beginning Autumn Quarter 2007. One can still be finishing the degree when applying, but it must be completed prior to PharmD matriculation. This degree can be in any major as long as the required prerequisites are completed as well. In fact, candidates are encouraged to consider diverse areas of study in preparation for a people-oriented profession. Previously, the Bachelors Degree was suggested for entering students and the vast majority of those accepted had completed a bachelors degree, but beginning in autumn 2007 it will be formally required.

I do not believe that the above is the norm currently, but I would foresee as the market requires less demand that the requirements necessary for pharmacy school could increase more, due to the competition to get in. I would check the school your applying to regarding this matter and go for it. Worst case scenario is that you do not get accepted and you complete your Bachelors anyway.

Hope this helps!

FutureRxGuys

6. overhillpharmer

Pharmacist
    I got into USN with about 3.65 science and 3.85 overall, one measly associates degree, very little EC, very little pharmacy experience, 38 years old. I did get in by the skin of my teeth though from the waiting list. Have you calculated your USN GPA acording to their rules, because if they haven't changed it for the fall 2008 cycle then any + grades actually count for less of your GPA and your - grades count for more because everything is converted to a standard grade for calculation purposes. e.g. B-, B, & B+ all count as 3.0 for that number of credits.

over

7. Phrm Girl 24

Phrm Girl 24 Accepted!

Pharmacist

I have volunteered at a pharmacy for 5 months, and i have been volunteering at a temple as well. I'm not planning on taking the PCAT because those schools do not require it, and i was hoping to stay close to home.

8. Phrm Girl 24

Phrm Girl 24 Accepted!

Pharmacist
    I actually calculated my GPA without any + or - and I calculated around 3.5. your gpa is very high. USN told me 60% of there students don't have a degree do you know if that's true?

9. overhillpharmer

Pharmacist
    If that is what they said then I'm sure it is true. Their prerequisite class requirements are fewer than any pharmacy school that I have investigated. Also, it is my understanding that they only give you 2% out of a possible 100% for having a bachelor's degree when scoring the whole application process. Having a bachelor's degree gives you experience that would be reflected in the questions you answer on your application but I do not feel that the actual fact that you have any degree has any relevance on whether you receive an interview from USN. I think the strength of your academics (GPA's) and how well you communicate in answering the questions asked in the application gets you the interview. Then it is key to do well in the interview because it is my understanding that this contributes to 40% of your total score when determining who gets invited to attend school.

Helpfully,
    Over :)

10. Phrm Girl 24

Phrm Girl 24 Accepted!

Pharmacist
    thanks everyone

11. mxktm185

Pharmacy Student
    I will be attending USN this fall, and I was accepted without a degree. My stats were almost identical to yours: 3.52 overall GPA, 4.0 pre-req GPA, ~80 credits completed.

I doubt you will have a problem getting an interview with your stats.

USN uses an "Academic Achievement Score" system to invite candidates to interview. A set number of points are rewarded to candidates based solely on science and overall GPA, with bonus points given for completion of all pre-reqs & any degrees earned. They calculate these scores for all applicants and invite those with scores down to a certain point for interviews.

The rest of your application comes into play during the interview. All of your volunteer work, EC's, and the answers to the application questions all serve as a basis for the direction and questions you are asked during the interview and your overall evaluation as a candidate.

So make sure the rest of your application is well rounded, nail the interview, and you should be fine.

Good luck with everything.

12. Phrm Girl 24

Phrm Girl 24 Accepted!

Pharmacist
    Thanks Mxktm185, you just gave me alot of hope.