need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sa4124

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys...i need some advice as it looks like I will not be accepted anywhere this cycle :(. I want to apply again for next year and am wondering what the best option is for my gap year and whether or not i should take the mcat again :scared:.

I am looking into applying for a one-year masters program or staying at my univeristy and finishing up my research for my gap year

This years application:
schools: south alabama (in-state), UAB (in-state), Tulane, Rosalind Franklin, NYMC, AECOM
major: biology
3.44 BPCM, 3.54 overall
28 MCAT (up from 25)
lots of EC's, 1.5 years of research with 2 publications pending (1 first author)

I am going to contact the schools that offer application feedback over the next few days

Changes since first app:
-will apply to more schools
After graduation both gpa's will be right above 3.6
I will have more volunteer hours from a clinic for the underserved
more research experience
2 research presentations, publications will likely be submitted mid to late summer so I will probably address those in an update letter
mcat?

my thoughts are that in order to make improvements in my application in such a short time before the next cycle I should take the mcat again but as always theres a chance of getting a lower score

all of your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Tough to advise, everything is so borderline. It would be nice if you could get your MCAT over a 30, but only take it if you´re consistently scoring over 30 on the practice exams. Honestly I think a broader application will probably do the trick.

did you get any interviews this round? If so, then that may be a sign that your application stats (MCAT and grades) were deemed acceptable, and research is probably a good idea. But if you didn't get interviews, it's a result of your academics most likely and although I wouldn't recommend taking the MCAT a third time( likely they will assume you did better because it's the third time around- if you do better), but a masters, maybe even a masters of anatomy would probably help. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I only got an interview at south alabama this cycle. I am definitely
going go for a broader application for the next time around. do you have any recommendations for specific one year masters programs whose deadlines have not passed?

so far im looking at tulane, rosalind franklin, or staying here as a non-degree grad (taking a few courses and putting some more work into my research)

The best thing you can do is improve your MCAT score.
I think this would help much more than a MS (unless you go the MSP route).

You may need significant time to improve; 500+ hours of prep.
I'd rather see you spend this kind of time and really get a good 32+ score.
Do this and apply broadly and you should get some interviews.

Are you working or in school or anything now?
If not, why don't you start prepping now for a late summer test?
Give yourself 2-3 months of 40 hours a week of prep and then retake.
Don't let one test get in the way of your goals.
Some people don't need much prep, but a lot of people do.
I think almost anyone who has done well in the prereqs can do well on the MCAT. It just takes a lot of work for some people.

Check out the MCAT forum if you need some more advice.

I am currently a finishing my undergrad degree. I went ahead and scheduled the MCAT for July 10th so I think I should have ample time to dedicate to studying for it (I'll start very soon but I don't want to go all out until my finals are out of the way).

Thanks for all the advice

Also consider the D.O. route.

You will be as much as a physician as an MD, and can start going forward with your life,

Your stats would be acceptable at DO schools.

Also ,are you sure that your letters of references are strong?

You look like the average or slightly-above-average DO matriculant to me. Don't waste time with more MCATs or SMPs or anything like that. Apply more broadly as soon as the applications come online, and include DO schools. Find a DO to write a letter for you too, because you will need that.

I am ******ed for not applying DO the first time around. I'd be getting set to do my clinical rotations. Instead, I'm getting set to start med school. Then again, I didn't know what the hell a DO was. Live and learn.

Get this show on the road.