Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 24 and graduated with a bachelors in biology last year. I plan on applying to vet school not this year but the year after. I have no vet experience and have to make up a few classes and possibly retake the gre before the october deadline of next year.

I moved to florida from new york 5 years ago and attended one of florida public universities. My parents moved down to florida and thats the reason I moved down as well. Lets just say I really dislike florida (no offense). I really dislike the climate and lets say my college experience was extremely bad.

After I graduated last year I moved back up to new york but a few months ago had to move back down to florida because I lost my job in new york. My parents think since I have a desire to become a vet and since I went to a florida school for undergrad that I should stay here, prepare my file for admission to uf. I do live about an hour from uf and my parents think I should try to make up the pre-reqs there and that will be appealing to admissions. However, I have also read it is difficult for non-degree seeking students to get into uf classes. I admit I do agree that I stand the best chance of getting into uf but staying here until starting vet school (assuming I get in) and throughout vet school is not something easy for me to decide to do.

I would much rather be in new york but unfortunately cornell in my opinion is more difficult to get into than uf and I dont know how they would look upon my florida degree in the admissions process. While I consider the climate in florida to be a negative, I also think it has an advantage as there would be more volunteer opportunities all year round and more exotic influence with the large array of reptiles living here. I will oviously apply to other schools in additioin to my instate school but I stand the best chance with the instate school.

I was just wondering if anyone here had any advice for me. Do schools take into account where you went to school for undergrad?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just some things i'm confused about. You say you aren't planning on applying this year, but next year. So you want to apply for the c/o 2016, right? So you need to make up classes and GRE by Oct 2011?

I didnt apply to UF or cornell so i dont have much experience with these schools. I do know that cornell will be harder to get into so IMO i wouldnt want it as my IS school.

I'm not sure how much you hate florida, but i do think it would be your best chance. But, you do have over a year before you need to apply. So if you wanted, you could move to w/e state you wanted where you would like the school but it wasnt the #1 school so your chances of getting in are better. Then you can established residency there. IMO i would stay in florida because i think that you have so much stuff going on and it would be complicated to move and register at another school etc etc...

If you think your grades and test scores will be really good, you could take a shot at cornell as your IS school. I have no idea how cornell judges which undergrad school you went to.

hope this helps even tho it only relates to half of your questions! :D

Can't really help you too much, only to say that I'm a NY resident and Cornell showed me no love (showed a lot of NY residents no love actually). It would have been nice to have a state school that is more possible to be accepted to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes that is what I am saying, I would apply for the october 2011 deadline.

I guess my issue is that I really dont like my instate school and its unfortunate that your chances are much higher with your instate school. I do agree that cornell is difficult to get into. It appears in my situation its either a state I dont like or a state that is difficult to get into. I went in for an interview recently for a job in mass so maybe I would move there in the near future.

I had one question: for residency forms do they require a drivers license in that state?

Thanks!

Yes that is what I am saying, I would apply for the october 2011 deadline.

I guess my issue is that I really dont like my instate school and its unfortunate that your chances are much higher with your instate school. I do agree that cornell is difficult to get into. It appears in my situation its either a state I dont like or a state that is difficult to get into. I went in for an interview recently for a job in mass so maybe I would move there in the near future.

I had one question: for residency forms do they require a drivers license in that state?

Thanks!

Every state is different for residency and can include: drivers license, register to vote, make x money a year taxable to this state, registr car to this state, receive no outside funding. It depends on the state.

What don't you like about UF vet school? Undergrad and vet school aren't the same thing.

You are also talking about 2 schools with extremly different curriculums, which may affect your interest.

I am getting the impression of something along 'I don't like the weather and I didn't like undergrad, so life must be better somewhere else.' It doesn't matter in general if that is your thought process, but it might make life more difficult in obtaining a DVM.

Your folks may have the right idea

You are right. I have nothing against the uf vet program, I just prefer living up north thats all.

I know you don't like FL but it might be the best situation for you right now.

1. You have a better chance of being accepted as an IS student
2. You will finish with much less debt
3. You will have your family close to you for support.

Once you finish vet school you can get the heck out of there!!!! Just suck it up for a few more years and then move somewhere that suits you better.

Good luck on making the decision and being accepted where ever you decide to apply!