Need Advice

Started by adl0816
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adl0816

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, this is first post, so this will also serve as an introduction for me. I am a high school senior and I just recently got accepted into UCSD for their pharmacological chemistry major and UCLA for their biochemistry major. I am planning to go into pharmacy school and earn a Pharm.D.

Question is: if I want to go to pharmacy school in UCSD, will majoring in pharmacological chemistry be good for hands-on pharmacy and not research pharmacy? Or can I just go to UCLA and major in biochemistry and still be fine for pharmacy school?

Here is the undergraduate requirements for UCSD's pharmacological chemistry, in case this helps.

http://www-chem.ucsd.edu/academic/Ugrad/pharmchem.bs.pdf

All comments/suggestions are appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Major is not really relevant to pharmacy school admission. On the other hand, what you learn could provide a good foundation for the stuff you will learn in a graduate/professional program.

Medicinal pharmacy (medicinal chemistry?) would be a more specific area of research pharmacy (pharmaceutical research?), if that's what you meant. A PharmD doesn't really prepare you for research in the basic sciences, at least compared to a PhD in pharmaceutical sciences.
 
Hello everyone, this is first post, so this will also serve as an introduction for me. I am a high school senior and I just recently got accepted into UCSD for their pharmacological chemistry major and UCLA for their biochemistry major. I am planning to go into pharmacy school and earn a Pharm.D.

Question is: if I want to go to pharmacy school in UCSD, will majoring in pharmacological chemistry be good for medicinal pharmacy and not research pharmacy? Or can I just go to UCLA and major in biochemistry and still be fine for pharmacy school?

Here is the undergraduate requirements for UCSD's pharmacological chemistry, in case this helps.

http://www-chem.ucsd.edu/academic/Ugrad/pharmchem.bs.pdf

All comments/suggestions are appreciated!
It depends on what you want to do with your Pharm.D.

If you want to do research, both majors will do you good. Biochemistry is a little more general than pharmacological chemistry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry if what I wrote was confusing, but I'm not looking to go into research pharmacy, but actual hands-on pharmacy (like the people you see at RiteAid and CVS and other retail stores.)
 
Sorry if what I wrote was confusing, but I'm not looking to go into research pharmacy, but actual hands-on pharmacy (like the people you see at RiteAid and CVS and other retail stores.)
That's community/retail pharmacy. Technically, you don't need a degree if you don't want to get one... just finish the pre-requirements for the pharmacy schools you want to apply to. That generally takes 2 to 2.5 years in college. AP/IB credits help a lot if you take the right ones.

I don't know if Calif. pharmacy schools require you to have a B.S.
 
That's community/retail pharmacy. Technically, you don't need a degree if you don't want to get one... just finish the pre-requirements for the pharmacy schools you want to apply to. That generally takes 2 to 2.5 years in college. AP/IB credits help a lot if you take the right ones.

I don't know if Calif. pharmacy schools require you to have a B.S.
Then what's the difference between getting Pharm.D and not getting a Pharm.D if I want to do hands-on pharmacy?
 
Sorry if what I wrote was confusing, but I'm not looking to go into research pharmacy, but actual hands-on pharmacy (like the people you see at RiteAid and CVS and other retail stores.)

I think most of the Cali schools require a Bachelors Degree but anothe fact is that they are a lot more competitive as they don't count PCAT ...in other word they just count ur GPA in ur Bachelors or Masters......So just get ur Bachelors with a good GPA and try for a Pharmacy School after completing ur prereqs. Another option is to try in out of state schools which don't require Bachellors but do require PCAT.So if u want to try in an out of state school just complete ur prereqs and try to score 70+ on PCAT and try for admission. For more info visit the school websites.......
GoodLuck👍👍👍🙂
 
I think most of the Cali schools require a Bachelors Degree but anothe fact is that they are a lot more competitive as they don't count PCAT ...in other word they just count ur GPA in ur Bachelors or Masters......So just get ur Bachelors with a good GPA and try for a Pharmacy School after completing ur prereqs. Another option is to try in out of state schools which don't require Bachellors but do require PCAT.So if u want to try in an out of state school just complete ur prereqs and try to score 70+ on PCAT and try for admission. For more info visit the school websites.......
GoodLuck👍👍👍🙂
Thanks. From what I've read from UCSD's pharmacy school's website, they do not require a PCAT either.
 
Then what's the difference between getting Pharm.D and not getting a Pharm.D if I want to do hands-on pharmacy?

If u want to do retail pharmacy......like a pharmacist in Walgreens, CVS etc...u definately need to do Pharm D. But if u want to do research and development u can do PhD or u can do Pharm D and then complete ur PhD...U have a lot of career options. Another option is to get PharmD and then complete ur residency in a specialization of ur choice like Diabeic care, Cardiac Care, Ambulatary Care etc.......👍
 
Thanks. From what I've read from UCSD's pharmacy school's website, they do not require a PCAT either.

Like I said schools in Cali don't require PCAT but they do require Bachelors or masters and they are a lot harder to get in......just because they don't require PCAT
 
Thanks. From what I've read from UCSD's pharmacy school's website, they do not require a PCAT either.
Point is... to practice "hands-on" pharmacy, which is known as retail or community pharmacy, you need to get a Pharm.D.

Looks like you do need a B.S. in Calif., so get an easy one if you want (like bio) or go biochem or biomed engineering if you think it's interesting.

Make sure you fulfill all pre-requirements of the pharmacy schools you want to apply to. Go to their websites.