Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oscillation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys! I am in great dilemma if I should apply for Cardiology this year. I am an IMG and graduated from average community program 2 yrs ago. For last two yrs I was working as an academic hospitalist( involved in teaching and training resident).Since June of this year I have switched to bench research and have been working full time on it, in a very prestigious institution.
My scores in both USMLE are above 245.I managed to publish 2 abstracts in cardiology during residency, but no manuscript. Also, I have submitted an abstract from current lab to ACC (pending decision).I feel that I would get strong LOR from my PD and cardiologist from my residency program and my PI.
Please, suggest me.
tks.

Members don't see this ad.

Guys! I am in great dilemma if I should apply for Cardiology this year. I am an IMG and graduated from average community program 2 yrs ago. For last two yrs I was working as an academic hospitalist( involved in teaching and training resident).Since June of this year I have switched to bench research and have been working full time on it, in a very prestigious institution.
My scores in both USMLE are above 245.I managed to publish 2 abstracts in cardiology during residency, but no manuscript. Also, I have submitted an abstract from current lab to ACC (pending decision).I feel that I would get strong LOR from my PD and cardiologist from my residency program and my PI.
Please, suggest me.
tks.

I would say give it a shot , what are you loosing your scores are amazing , it seems that you have associated yourself with a well known institution and you have 2 abstracts. you will never know your chances unless you apply , realize that you need to be very careful in choosing which programs you apply to. Try to get more LORs maybe
the scores are important if you are a graduate of a non-US medical school.

I would say give it a shot , what are you loosing your scores are amazing , it seems that you have associated yourself with a well known institution and you have 2 abstracts. you will never know your chances unless you apply , realize that you need to be very careful in choosing which programs you apply to. Try to get more LORs maybe
the scores are important if you are a graduate of a non-US medical school.

Thanks. I have started working on the application. Do you mind clarifying what you mean by "........very careful in choosing program......"

Members don't see this ad :)
After going through the SDN posts I have lost all the energy. Really!!! Situation is so hopeless for an IMG from a community program to get into a decent cardiology program.

After going through the SDN posts I have lost all the energy. Really!!! Situation is so hopeless for an IMG from a community program to get into a decent cardiology program.

Forget about the negative stuff ,APPLY .... Only after that you may say that I have no chances
have you applied before?

No,I haven't. This is my first try......I am a virgin...ha ha

Last edited:
I would say hurry up, and you can still apply this year. Time is wasting. You've gone to all this effort. Presumably you are doing this research so that you can have a shot at getting in. Just go for it. The stats say it is much harder for a FMG to get in somwhere, but you have good USMLE scores and some minor publications, and now you are working in a good research lab. I think you have a shot to get in somewhere. Just go for it. If you ask for letter of rec NOW from your PI, you could still apply this year. Some programs I think have deadlines of Jan 1st, maybe even Feb 1st.