Need Advise Desperately

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studoc28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm an entering junior this year and I have not completed bio courses such as genetics, physio, cell bio, and biochem as I plan to complete those this year. Due to my background I am struggling big time on the biology section because all of this is new to me. I made a last minute decision to take the DAT and have been studying for 3 weeks. I have my exam on Monday and hoping for advice of what I can do to best prepare myself for biology. I am very good with memorizing and can take in a lot of information within the next two days. My current materials are DAT Destroyer and Crack the DAT PAT. I really appreciate any helpful recommendations!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Memorize as much destroyer bio as you can in the next two days. Go through all the questions and understand every answer choice. Thats your best option

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!

How have you been doing in terms of correct vs incorrect answers in DAT Destroyer?

If I were you and biology has been a struggle, definitely look into an online version of Cliff's AP Bio notes (if available in digital format) or ask a friend to borrow the physical copy. I think it'll be a great way to hammer in the fundamentals last minute. If you push yourself, you can finish the chapters in 2-2.5 days. If you can do that earlier in the morning, you can then factor in a second/third run-through of DAT Destroyer (assuming you've done all the problems once already).

I urge you not to neglect the other topics over the next few days, and do whatever you can to do select problems for all the other sections as well. With cramming and the added stress, you can very easily lose the material you may have thought you had down solid.

Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
For dat destroyer I have gone through 250 questions. Yesterday, I studied all of the explanations then this morning I took a practice in Barron's DAT book (which I heard is easier) and I got a 16 :( some mistakes were silly and prob could of done 17/18 with more concentration. I know Barron is a lot easier but for Gchem, orgo, and QR I have been scoring 25+. As of now, my major concern is bio, bio, bio, and PAT lol a lot of the concepts I am reading in destroyer are new to me so I am simply memorizing the facts, since I do not have time to teach myself the concepts for all the problems. So I didn't know if I should go through the rest of destroyer (like one person said) or use another source. I also plan on taking the free boot camp test tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
My biology background is good, I have an overall gpa of 3.93. It's just that I haven't taken all the bio courses that are on the DAT

Should I go back through the explanations of the 250 questions then move on to additional questions if I have time? Or should I do the next 250 questions and study those?

How well do you think you've retained the information from the 250 questions? And when you were doing the questions the first time around, roughly what percentage of questions were you getting correct?

Maybe you should quickly go back and randomly select 10-20 questions from the first 250 you went through and see how you do. If you're getting them right, or if you glance through the questions and have a good idea of what the answer should be, move on and do the other problems you have not yet gotten a chance to finish.

Ideally, you should do all the Destroyer problems at least 2 times.

It's really hard to gauge how prepared you may be simply because many of the other SDN-ers used resources such as Bootcamp where Bootcamp scores vs actual DAT scores followed a general trend.

Oh wait, have you taken a look at the free 2007 ADA DAT?

That may be your best resource to gauge how prepared you are. If you don't do well, perhaps the best option would be to reschedule your DAT to a later date. You can do the free 2007 DAT and then pay the fee to take the 2009 DAT online (since you won't have enough time to wait for the paper copy to be mailed).