Need advise ....Dr. Collins

Started by bazuka
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bazuka

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am kind of memorizing all the verbal practice tests that Dr Collins has. Is that the best way to prepare for the actual exam?

Also for the math part, is Kaplan better or Dr Collins. I saw a lot of posts earlier from Aug PCAT that people had hard time on QA section who studied DR Collins QA practice tests. 😕
 
I took the pcat both in June and August and i feel like nothing will prepare you for the test. The math in June is way toooo hard and I guessed like a half of it. However, I did see few identical questions from Dr.Collins study package. In the end I got 80%. I bet many people did worse than me.

In the august pcat, the math is a lot lot easier. IT's so simple and there are only few questions that i had to guess. Study Dr.Collins math section and you will do fine. Trust me. More importantly, you have to be efficient with the time and move on when you can't solve a problem!
 
I took the pcat both in June and August and i feel like nothing will prepare you for the test. The math in June is way toooo hard and I guessed like a half of it. However, I did see few identical questions from Dr.Collins study package. In the end I got 80%. I bet many people did worse than me.

In the august pcat, the math is a lot lot easier. IT's so simple and there are only few questions that i had to guess. Study Dr.Collins math section and you will do fine. Trust me. More importantly, you have to be efficient with the time and move on when you can't solve a problem!

Did you get an 80% composite or 80% in math?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the pcat both in June and August and i feel like nothing will prepare you for the test. The math in June is way toooo hard and I guessed like a half of it. However, I did see few identical questions from Dr.Collins study package. In the end I got 80%. I bet many people did worse than me.

In the august pcat, the math is a lot lot easier. IT's so simple and there are only few questions that i had to guess. Study Dr.Collins math section and you will do fine. Trust me. More importantly, you have to be efficient with the time and move on when you can't solve a problem!

um... if you got an 80 that means you scored higher than 80% of the people who took the test.

I didn't think the math in June was that hard at all. A lot of it was rather basic stuff that you just had to do quickly.

As for the question about the verbal section, as long as you memorize what words are what, you'll do just fine
 
I took Dr. Collins prep class and I felt that memorizing the verbal and biology were the best thing for me. I had taken the PCAT in January without studying, took Collins prep class in May and took the test again in June and did tremendously better, but still not good enough to be considered competitive. I am taking the October test and this go around, I am really focusing on the chemistry and reading comp sections because I haven't done well on the chemistry section of the test and I have never in my life been good at reading comp for some reason. I also felt Collins math section was very helpful and I memorized all of the problems and practice tests, but unfortunately, there was a lot more advanced problems on the June test than what I had anticipated. So hope this helps and good luck!
 
I took Dr. Collins prep class and I felt that memorizing the verbal and biology were the best thing for me. I had taken the PCAT in January without studying, took Collins prep class in May and took the test again in June and did tremendously better, but still not good enough to be considered competitive. I am taking the October test and this go around, I am really focusing on the chemistry and reading comp sections because I haven't done well on the chemistry section of the test and I have never in my life been good at reading comp for some reason. I also felt Collins math section was very helpful and I memorized all of the problems and practice tests, but unfortunately, there was a lot more advanced problems on the June test than what I had anticipated. So hope this helps and good luck!


Hey can I ask you how the reading comp of dr. collins compare to the real test? so I far I think dr. Collins reading tests are easy compare to the reading comp in Kaplan. I just wanna know wat version is the better representative of the real pcat.
 
What Collins does for the reading comp section is they take topics that have been used on actual PCAT tests. What I mean is the instructor said that Pearson must buy copyrights for different topics that they reuse on multiple tests. So they won't necessarily be the same essay, but they will have the same topic. I also feel the packets are easier than the actual test, but if you go over all the packets and read all the passages, you will at least have a general idea as to what the passages are talking about. I hope this makes sense.😱
 
I took Dr. Collins prep class and I felt that memorizing the verbal and biology were the best thing for me. I had taken the PCAT in January without studying, took Collins prep class in May and took the test again in June and did tremendously better, but still not good enough to be considered competitive. I am taking the October test and this go around, I am really focusing on the chemistry and reading comp sections because I haven't done well on the chemistry section of the test and I have never in my life been good at reading comp for some reason. I also felt Collins math section was very helpful and I memorized all of the problems and practice tests, but unfortunately, there was a lot more advanced problems on the June test than what I had anticipated. So hope this helps and good luck!


I bought Dr. Collins package and memorize all the word in the list + 7 tests but end up 30 in verbal. I could not explain why this happened even though I saw some identical words in the test. Do you have a different word list? If yes, could you PM me. Thank you.
 
I bought Dr. Collins package and memorize all the word in the list + 7 tests but end up 30 in verbal. I could not explain why this happened even though I saw some identical words in the test. Do you have a different word list? If yes, could you PM me. Thank you.

I think that memorizing material for the PCAT is very much useless. Yes, you need to know what certain words mean but rote regurgitation of material will not get you very far. When I practiced for the verbal ability, I read several books alongside my studying. Whenever I read a word that I did not know, I defined it and placed it in a MS Word document for reference.

There is no SET word list for the PCAT. There is a massive vocabulary out there and simply memorizing the word list from Dr. Collins will not do you very much good. I think that by reading books and whatever you can get your hands on will improve your vocabulary and allow you to recognize patterns on the analogies.

I received an 87 on my verbal ability and a 96 composite.
 
Two things really helped me get a 91 on quant, and I haven't had a math class literally since 1991...a book called pcat flashcards and tons of practice problems. Then a calc book and youtube videos to relearn stuff like chain rule to take derivative of trig funtions. You MUST learn to estimate. Take under timed conditions, because time is your biggest enemy. There were some I skipped that I knew I could solve, but knew it was more important to seek out the quick, easier points.
 
Two things really helped me get a 91 on quant, and I haven't had a math class literally since 1991...a book called pcat flashcards and tons of practice problems. Then a calc book and youtube videos to relearn stuff like chain rule to take derivative of trig funtions. You MUST learn to estimate. Take under timed conditions, because time is your biggest enemy. There were some I skipped that I knew I could solve, but knew it was more important to seek out the quick, easier points.


I'm taking Cal now and I have a test in 2 weeks with the chapter on Chain rule and similar chapters so I hope that well prepares me for the Cal portion of the Math section since I take it in October. :xf:
 
I bought Dr. Collins package and memorize all the word in the list + 7 tests but end up 30 in verbal. I could not explain why this happened even though I saw some identical words in the test. Do you have a different word list? If yes, could you PM me. Thank you.
Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I think your better bet would be to memorize all of the analogies you can rather than just the words themselves.
 
what are my chances of getting into any school is with a 3.1 gpa and with a degree BA from Kean University in bio and this horrendous pcat score

verbal 27
bio 11
reading comp 37
quantitative 45
chem 32
composite 24

i worked at a pharmacy for 2 years and i have 3 letters of recommendation from my former pharmacy managers

im retaking the exam again on october 17th but with this information are my chances of getting into any school better?
 
what are my chances of getting into any school is with a 3.1 gpa and with a degree BA from Kean University in bio and this horrendous pcat score

verbal 27
bio 11
reading comp 37
quantitative 45
chem 32
composite 24

i worked at a pharmacy for 2 years and i have 3 letters of recommendation from my former pharmacy managers

im retaking the exam again on october 17th but with this information are my chances of getting into any school better?

Definitely retake unless you plan on applying to a school that does not accept PCAT. Remember that a high score won't necessarily get people accepted as often as a low score keeps people out. There's a chance some schools will disregard your application just like they'd disregard the application of a 2.5 GPA student.
 
what are my chances of getting into any school is with a 3.1 gpa and with a degree BA from Kean University in bio and this horrendous pcat score

verbal 27
bio 11
reading comp 37
quantitative 45
chem 32
composite 24

i worked at a pharmacy for 2 years and i have 3 letters of recommendation from my former pharmacy managers

im retaking the exam again on october 17th but with this information are my chances of getting into any school better?

Retake sounds more realistic. Better chance, obviously, would be a 70% composite or higher.

With the above scores....sorry, your application will get tossed...Reality Check 10😎
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question for everyone that used Dr. Collin's prep material. When you were taking the practice exams, what scores were you receiving and how did that correlate to your pcat results?


Cheers