Need advise on how to obtain mortgage

Started by hannagirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hannagirl

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I have recently shifted to Edmonton, with my friends. We are working in a nearby hospital. It’s getting really difficult to find a home for rent, so we are planning to take a mortgage and purchase a house. But, none of us have taken any loan, so we are pretty confused with a lot of things. I was looking online on detailed steps on how to obtain a mortgage. I wanted to know, is there any special considerations since we are medical students and nurses. Also, should we choose a mortgage broker or a bank ?
 
Hi everyone,

I have recently shifted to Edmonton, with my friends. We are working in a nearby hospital. It’s getting really difficult to find a home for rent, so we are planning to take a mortgage and purchase a house. But, none of us have taken any loan, so we are pretty confused with a lot of things. I was looking online on detailed steps on how to obtain a mortgage. I wanted to know, is there any special considerations since we are medical students and nurses. Also, should we choose a mortgage broker or a bank ?

I would avoid buying and find and apartment instead. As students, there is a good chance you won't be there long and will likely end up losing money when it's time to sell.
 
Hi everyone,

I have recently shifted to Edmonton, with my friends. We are working in a nearby hospital. It’s getting really difficult to find a home for rent, so we are planning to take a mortgage and purchase a house. But, none of us have taken any loan, so we are pretty confused with a lot of things. I was looking online on detailed steps on how to obtain a mortgage. I wanted to know, is there any special considerations since we are medical students and nurses. Also, should we choose a mortgage broker or a bank ?

getting a mortgage with friends is either impossible or just the worst idea ever. I mean if one person wanted to get a mortgage and purchase their own home and then have others live with them and chip in rent money, that'd be one thing (which may or may not be a bad idea for them). A bank, however, isn't going to lend money to a group of friends for a mortgage. Individuals get mortgages, or couples (married or not), but not groups of friends.

On a related note, you probably shouldn't buy a house unless you plan on living in it for a period of years, preferably 5-10 or more.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad