Technology need advise on laptops

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cluelesspremed

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I want to buy a new laptop computer and have heard people raving about the new Apple Powerbooks (heck, they're even used by like everyone on tv sitcoms now a days). I've always had Dells but haven't really ever tried an Apple. I'm pretty computer illiterate, but am just looking for a neat, affordable new laptop so any/all help or places I can go to read up on the two (besides their websites) before deciding which to get would be helpful!

ps are there times of the year laptops cost less than others (like cars)? sorry for the ******ed questions and thanks for any/all help!
 
If you've been using Microsoft based laptops for a majority of you're life I'd probably be against purchasing an Apple laptop. To be quite honest, they are very over priced and do not offer the same performance for the dollar that you can get from PC based laptops.

My advice to you is figure out exactly what you need. What types of things will you require from your laptop?

Lastly, there are times of the year that laptops usually cost less. Most notably is what's known as Black Friday, the Friday after Thanksgiving. Otherwise, be on the look out for laptop coupons from Dell at deal sites like www.ableshopper.com or www.slickdeals.net .

http://notebookforums.com/ has a WEALTH of information about many different types of laptops. You should have more than enough info there to make a good decision.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Ish
 
DrIsh said:
If you've been using Microsoft based laptops for a majority of you're life I'd probably be against purchasing an Apple laptop. To be quite honest, they are very over priced and do not offer the same performance for the dollar that you can get from PC based laptops.

My advice to you is figure out exactly what you need. What types of things will you require from your laptop?

Lastly, there are times of the year that laptops usually cost less. Most notably is what's known as Black Friday, the Friday after Thanksgiving. Otherwise, be on the look out for laptop coupons from Dell at deal sites like www.ableshopper.com or www.slickdeals.net .

http://notebookforums.com/ has a WEALTH of information about many different types of laptops. You should have more than enough info there to make a good decision.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Ish

Thanks a lot! I'll def. look into those sites, I appreciate it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cluelesspremed said:
So I want to buy a new laptop computer and have heard people raving about the new Apple Powerbooks (heck, they're even used by like everyone on tv sitcoms now a days). I've always had Dells but haven't really ever tried an Apple. I'm pretty computer illiterate, but am just looking for a neat, affordable new laptop so any/all help or places I can go to read up on the two (besides their websites) before deciding which to get would be helpful!

ps are there times of the year laptops cost less than others (like cars)? sorry for the ******ed questions and thanks for any/all help!

I'd like to respectfully disagree with the above poster about Apple laptops. I know that Mac people hate Windows people, and vice versa, but I'm not looking to get into that debate. 😀

I've had an iBook for 3 years, and was given a PowerBook for graduation this year. I love them both, and could give you over a thousand reasons why. Yes, they're initially more expensive than PC's, but in the long run the cost evens out. My parents have a Mac Performa they bought in 1995, and it still surfs the internet, and has never left their house for any kind of repairs.

There are very few, if any, viruses that affect Macs, and the AppleCare warranty program covers your computer for 3 years. Just go to any Apple store near you to check out the new iMac or PowerBook. You can try them out, talk to the experts about them, and even attend learning workshops for free. Try this link:

http://www.apple.com/switch/

There are no compatibility issues with Mac's new operating system, OS X. It opens just about any kind of Windows file sent to you, and can word process, surf the net, and store your music collection with the best of the PC's. I'm sure you've heard about the iPod, and I think they're having a deal now that if you buy a new laptop, you get a 200 dollar rebate, which will just about pay for an iPod if you're interested. They even have discounts for those in education, whether you're a student or a teacher. That includes us college students too!

Have you heard of Airport? or Airport Express? You can connect your laptop to the internet from up to 150 ft away from the base station, wirelessly. You can share one printer with as many computers as there are on your network. And Airport express can send your entire music library from your computer to your stereo, also wirelessly.

Apple's user interface is the easiest I've ever used, and you never have to search around to find out how to do things. There are tutorials galore, and the first time you start up your computer it takes you step by step through the set up process, even allowing you to tailor your experience to your own needs.

I would use Macs even if they cost 10,000 dollars and a PC was only 50 dollars. You just can't beat their user friendliness, very attractive designs, awesome customer service, and durability of their products. I even obtained a Mac Plus from my University when they were cleaning out the Biology dept.'s old computers, and it has 1987 stamped on the bottom. It starts right up, and is great for simple tasks like word processing.

PM me for more info.

And by the way, no, I don't work for Apple. I just love them! 😉
 
Thank you for your input.

Apple is definately a respectable company and it is probably the most user friendly you can get. If computer literacy is an issue, definately go Apple.

Both PCs and Apples have their strengths and weaknesses. In the end the decision is yours and before you make it, really think about all that you will require from your laptop.

Good luck,
Ish