sophee

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
31
0
Status
Medical Student
Ok so i want IM really bad i appled to 70 programs not a single interview, i passed step 1 with 76 on the 2nd attempt an passed step ll with 75 and passed CS and have all A's and 8yrs of research experiance.
I am dissapointed, so i appled for FP and now i am getting interviews.
Should i go to all my FP interviews or wait to scramble. if i don't scramble what if i apply next year to the same FP programs would they give me an interview the 2nd time even if i don't rank them.
Please let me know how does this work.
 

8744

Guest
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
9,284
171
Status
Non-Student
sophee said:
Ok so i want IM really bad i appled to 70 programs not a single interview, i passed step 1 with 76 on the 2nd attempt an passed step ll with 75 and passed CS and have all A's and 8yrs of research experiance.
I am dissapointed, so i appled for FP and now i am getting interviews.
Should i go to all my FP interviews or wait to scramble. if i don't scramble what if i apply next year to the same FP programs would they give me an interview the 2nd time even if i don't rank them.
Please let me know how does this work.
You applied to 70 IM programs and didn't get a single interview? Are you an FMG by any chance. No, strike that, many IM programs consider IMGs. Did you club a four-year-old cancer patient to death with a baby seal on your pediatric rotation and they have you on film doing it? Are you currently doing time in the Big House?

Good Lord. Don't do FM if you don't like it. Trust your Uncle Panda on this. And yes, programs will interview you again next year. I have been offered interviews at two places where I interviewed last year.
 

sophee

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
31
0
Status
Medical Student
Panda Bear said:
You applied to 70 IM programs and didn't get a single interview? Are you an FMG by any chance. No, strike that, many IM programs consider IMGs. Did you club a four-year-old cancer patient to death with a baby seal on your pediatric rotation and they have you on film doing it? Are you currently doing time in the Big House?

Good Lord. Don't do FM if you don't like it. Trust your Uncle Panda on this. And yes, programs will interview you again next year. I have been offered interviews at two places where I interviewed last year.

i don't know what happened to me, i have all A's in my rotations, Yest i am an FMG, but i am from Ross
 
About the Ads

usnavdoc

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
921
3
Status
Attending Physician
sophee said:
i don't know what happened to me, i have all A's in my rotations, Yest i am an FMG, but i am from Ross
Afraid I dont know much about the FMG thing so I dont know what distinguishes ross from any other school. But if I were you, I would stick with IM if thats what you want and scramble into a spot if you dont outright match. There are tons of IM spots that go unfilled. I certainly wouldnt match into a field I didnt want to be in just to do something. How horrible would that be. Wanting to do IM and finding yourself on the Labor/Delivery floor of a FP Ward.

jmo
 

beyond all hope

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
623
7
46
Visit site
Status
Scramble away. Don't do a speciality you don't like. Do IM.

There will be lots of IM programs needing residents. Scramble. Or even try to get a spot post-scramble.

One of my classmates didn't get a spot in the scramble. He sent out emails to programs after the match, got interviews at places THAT DIDN'T GIVE HIM INTERVIEWS THE FIRST TIME AROUND. He eventually ended up getting a spot that was better than any he interviewed for in the match.

ERAS can screw you sometimes. A program can set their filters so that they don't download IMG applications, so this may have hurt you. I'm guessing if you didn't get any interviews with 70 apps than there was a problem with the application. If you applied to 70 programs it means you are willing to go the extra mile to get an IM residency.

Just do it. I'm confident you'll get a spot between now and June. Or if things go badly and you don't get a spot by June, someone will drop out of their intern year next year and you'll be there to take their spot.

Good luck.
 

sophee

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
31
0
Status
Medical Student
beyond all hope said:
Scramble away. Don't do a speciality you don't like. Do IM.

There will be lots of IM programs needing residents. Scramble. Or even try to get a spot post-scramble.

One of my classmates didn't get a spot in the scramble. He sent out emails to programs after the match, got interviews at places THAT DIDN'T GIVE HIM INTERVIEWS THE FIRST TIME AROUND. He eventually ended up getting a spot that was better than any he interviewed for in the match.

ERAS can screw you sometimes. A program can set their filters so that they don't download IMG applications, so this may have hurt you. I'm guessing if you didn't get any interviews with 70 apps than there was a problem with the application. If you applied to 70 programs it means you are willing to go the extra mile to get an IM residency.

Just do it. I'm confident you'll get a spot between now and June. Or if things go badly and you don't get a spot by June, someone will drop out of their intern year next year and you'll be there to take their spot.

Good luck.
Thanks guys, I will try my best to get into IM programs, but i'm afraid if i may not even be able to scramble and or not even have a job by next year. I think what hurt me the most was the fact that i failed step 1 once, and God if i knew it would hurt me this much i would have studied Harrason's.but thanks again, i'll wait and see what happenes.
 

Bob Loblaw

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2005
31
0
Status
Medical Student
Sophie, I hope you don't take offense, but I've noticed all your posts are littered with poor grammar and spelling. I'm assuming you were much more careful with your application, but did you get more than one person to proofread it? If there are lots of typos on the application, a program will easily dismiss an applicant. This may be something you want to consider.

That being said, you can't change what's already on ERAS. I would write and call as many programs as possible.

Good luck to you!
 

NinerNiner999

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
1,516
229
Where it's at.
Status
Attending Physician
Something doesn't add up with this post. People don't get A's in medical school (even at Ross) and fail/barely pass step 1 and 2. I don't think it is possible to apply to 70 programs in any specialty and not get a single interview. Oh - and its Harrison's, not "Harrason's" textbook of Medicine (but I guess you would have known that too given all of the A's you earned), and I don't think that would help you with any of the USMLE exams as well. Nice try, though...
 

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
11,025
991
Arizona
Status
Attending Physician
Sophee, did you call the IM programs. I cant disagree with niner something doesnt make sense. Do you have a felony on your record? Poor LORs? I think anyone with a ton of A's at any med school US or otherwise should do quite well on their U-Smell-E exams.
 

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
11,025
991
Arizona
Status
Attending Physician
And not to nitpick.. but it is "advice" not "advise". So either your spelling is bad or your use of advise is improper.
 

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
39,968
28,368
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
EctopicFetus said:
And not to nitpick.. but it is "advice" not "advise". So either your spelling is bad or your use of advise is improper.
Depends on where Sophie is from. In many countries, the accepted spelling of the word above does include an "s" instead of a "c" (not the US, but if her native language is not "American English", then she may be excused.). Lord knows I have to stop myself from spelling edema with an "o" at the start! :laugh:
 

skypilot

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2002
2,370
126
Beantown
Status
Attending Physician
NinerNiner999 said:
Something doesn't add up with this post. People don't get A's in medical school (even at Ross) and fail/barely pass step 1 and 2. I don't think it is possible to apply to 70 programs in any specialty and not get a single interview. Oh - and its Harrison's, not "Harrason's" textbook of Medicine (but I guess you would have known that too given all of the A's you earned), and I don't think that would help you with any of the USMLE exams as well. Nice try, though...
So you think sophee is a troll?! :scared:
 

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
11,025
991
Arizona
Status
Attending Physician
Kimberli,

I was just pointing out one obvious flaw. She also misspelled experience. Now it is one thing if you are typing so fast that you transpose letters but "a" isnt really near those other letters. For example if can forgive her leaving out an "i" in applied but tossing in incorrect letters has to make you wonder. Anyhow.. you point on british english is taken.

Orthopaedic :) Luckily for me EM doesnt have that problem!
 
About the Ads

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
39,968
28,368
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
EctopicFetus said:
Kimberli,

I was just pointing out one obvious flaw. She also misspelled experience. Now it is one thing if you are typing so fast that you transpose letters but "a" isnt really near those other letters. For example if can forgive her leaving out an "i" in applied but tossing in incorrect letters has to make you wonder. Anyhow.. you point on british english is taken.

Orthopaedic :) Luckily for me EM doesnt have that problem!
I don't disagree with you in regards to the other, multiple, spelling errors. There seem to be a subset of people who are careless typers and don't care to correct their mistakes. The usual argument is that they wouldn't dare make those mistakes on ERAS apps...remains to be seen.
 

turtle md

Hardware Included
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
771
0
just over there
Status
Attending Physician
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht
oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the
frist
and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and
you
can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos
not
raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.



amzanig huh?

:D
 

sophee

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
31
0
Status
Medical Student
NinerNiner999 said:
Something doesn't add up with this post. People don't get A's in medical school (even at Ross) and fail/barely pass step 1 and 2. I don't think it is possible to apply to 70 programs in any specialty and not get a single interview. Oh - and its Harrison's, not "Harrason's" textbook of Medicine (but I guess you would have known that too given all of the A's you earned), and I don't think that would help you with any of the USMLE exams as well. Nice try, though...
Wow,
You are very critical. I am so sorry that i had a bad day and did not pay attention to my spelling. I had a bad day and the last thing on my mind was to check my spelling. I thought this was a friendly site, but didn't realize that i am talking to typical med school personalities that are waiting to criticize and have no personality at all.
As far as my status, i have no reason to lie Mr. John Hopkins resident. It is possible to get A's and still fail steps. I know very smart students who failed steps, and once you fail then the anxiety will take its course. So that is what happened to me.
See, You might be a typical John Hopkins resident who think every one should be like you, well unfortunately i am not. In fact i have better things to do than just study like you. Just to let you know, i didn't correct my spelling, so correct me if i am wrong.
 

sophee

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
31
0
Status
Medical Student
EctopicFetus said:
Kimberli,

I was just pointing out one obvious flaw. She also misspelled experience. Now it is one thing if you are typing so fast that you transpose letters but "a" isnt really near those other letters. For example if can forgive her leaving out an "i" in applied but tossing in incorrect letters has to make you wonder. Anyhow.. you point on british english is taken.

Orthopaedic :) Luckily for me EM doesnt have that problem!
Wow,
I didn't realize that you were reading between the lines. I had a bad day and i didn't check my spelling, what makes you think that i would send my application without spell check. I am not that stupid, please give me a break. I am not trying to impress you guys, see this is the problem with med students, they get excited when one makes mistake. If I don't know how to spell experience than something is wrong with me, but i must say that i wrote without care. I'll make sure to check my spelling next time if that really bothers you.
 

NinerNiner999

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
1,516
229
Where it's at.
Status
Attending Physician
You are correct, this did used to be a friendly (and mostly honest) board. Perhaps you should not apply to residency this year and consider some needed time off to sort out your obvious insecurities - it will most likley do your patients and yourself much good. I did not judge you - just pointed out some fairly obvious flaws in your story - the type of inconsistences that clearly reveal you to be troll rather than a worthwhile contributer to this forum. Now, please, if you will excuse me, I need to get back to bed - the jet lag from my last week in Las Vegas is really making me tired.

P.S. - maybe with your lackluster board performance you should consider studying all the time as you alluded to... (but then again, if you got all A's, I guess you've already done that ;))
 

sophee

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
31
0
Status
Medical Student
NinerNiner999 said:
You are correct, this did used to be a friendly (and mostly honest) board. Perhaps you should not apply to residency this year and consider some needed time off to sort out your obvious insecurities - it will most likley do your patients and yourself much good. I did not judge you - just pointed out some fairly obvious flaws in your story - the type of inconsistences that clearly reveal you to be troll rather than a worthwhile contributer to this forum. Now, please, if you will excuse me, I need to get back to bed - the jet lag from my last week in Las Vegas is really making me tired.

P.S. - maybe with your lackluster board performance you should consider studying all the time as you alluded to... (but then again, if you got all A's, I guess you've already done that ;))

You are harsh, inconsiderate and judgemental individual. So you think you are a worthwhile contributer, you have nothing to offer but to make us upset, insult us and put us down. You may have 90 and A's but you have no communication skills and i don't think you would last long with this attitude. God help you, and remember you are not God, you are just a typical med student or resident and i don't care where you practice, or what you do, you need help.
 

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I don't know where this thread went wrong. I think it just got on a roll (a really bad one). It is usually quite helpful. Out of the however many people on this board, most are quite nice and supportive. Posting on the IM board might yield more helpful results.

Maybe you can apply to a transitional or prelim year. Then you can apply again next year. Now, this is coming from someone that has no idea how hard it is to get one of these positions so maybe people out there have some thoughts about this. :confused:

That said, I would go with the advice of the above posters and call PDs or scramble. Just pointing out an alternative (though I don't know if it is a really feasible option).

Good luck.
 

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
2,226
1
47
Bible Belt and loving it
Status
Resident [Any Field]
turtle said:
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht
oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the
frist
and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and
you
can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos
not
raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.



amzanig huh?

:D

oh oh thats cool! :) My hubby and I got a kick outta that thanks turtle!
 

robotsonic

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2005
469
2
NYC
Status
Medical Student
sophee said:
As far as my status, i have no reason to lie Mr. John Hopkins resident. It is possible to get A's and still fail steps.

In fact i have better things to do than just study like you. Just to let you know, i didn't correct my spelling, so correct me if i am wrong.
I don't know what Caribbean schools are like, but at my school it would definitely be difficult to get all honors (equivalent of A's) and then fail the boards.

Also, I can't believe that you are saying that you have better things to do than study. If you failed or just barely passed the boards, then you clearly need to be studying more!

And it's Johns Hopkins, not John Hopkins.
 

tigershark

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
333
3
Status
Don't come to an internet message board and get all bent out of shape when you don't hear exactly what you want to, what would be the point of asking for advice if all you got was positive feedback? Nobody is perfect and you should be open to the possibility that what some people have pointed out may be true, your grammar and attitude need work.

The first thing I would do is print out your entire app and have a US med student read it.

70 programs and not a single interview indicates serious flaws in the application itself .
 

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
tigershark said:
Don't come to an internet message board and get all bent out of shape when you don't hear exactly what you want to, what would be the point of asking for advice if all you got was positive feedback? Nobody is perfect and you should be open to the possibility that what some people have pointed out may be true, your grammar and attitude need work.

The first thing I would do is print out your entire app and have a US med student read it.

70 programs and not a single interview indicates serious flaws in the application itself .
I agree that pointing out grammer is important. However, I think it is unfair to him/her to get abused about failing the boards. Harping on the topic won't change that. Giving a realistic opinion about where he/she stands and being quite mean are totally different things. Advice about what to do was sought, not feedback on what an aweful candidate they must be.
 

sophee

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
31
0
Status
Medical Student
trkd said:
I agree that pointing out grammer is important. However, I think it is unfair to him/her to get abused about failing the boards. Harping on the topic won't change that. Giving a realistic opinion about where he/she stands and being quite mean are totally different things. Advice about what to do was sought, not feedback on what an aweful candidate they must be.
Thanks trdk
 
About the Ads