Quantcast

Need an answer....

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MohMan

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Hey this is my first post on this forum but Ive been reading its topics for a while....
I was wondering if you guys would have an idea on how competitive the GPA and MCAT scores have to be to get into medschool. Right now Im going to a community college and will transfer to UCLA for fall 2005. Upon transferring Iwill have taken 2 semesters of Ochem, 2 semesters of physics, and 3 semesters of bio (lower divs). My GPA is ~3.67. I know Im gonna get my ass beat at LA due to the competition but realistically, whats a competetive GPA from UCLA to get into a medschool? Also, what would be a reasonable MCAT score to get into a upper moderate or a good medschool?
I've just been stressing lately and need an idea because councelors dont tell you ****.

Thanks in advance
-Moh

Oh yeah, Im going under Molecular Bio....
 

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2002
Messages
14,326
Reaction score
6,307
Shoot for as high a GPA as possible. Your GPA isn't bad, as I usually say to aim for at least a 3.5, but a 3.8 cum GPA will put you into the top-tier. As for MCAT, shoot for at least a 30, more like a 33 or higher for top programs.

Obviously, there's alot more to an application than this. But, since you asked specifically about that, that's my opinion for you. As for which major you choose, that doesn't really matter much.

If you'd like to see some hard numbers, try http://www.mdapplicants.com
 
Joined
Apr 16, 2004
Messages
712
Reaction score
12
Also, for what it's worth, a lot of med schools won't accept the basic pre-med requirements if they're taken at a community college, so you may have to take o-chem, physics, and bio again when you get to UCLA (this would also probably help your GPA as you've been exposed to the material once already). I'd call the admissions office of some medical schools you might be interested in (perhaps some UC's since I'm guessing you're from California) to ask what their policies are regarding this. Best of luck to you!
 

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2002
Messages
14,326
Reaction score
6,307
bjackrian said:
I'd call the admissions office of some medical schools you might be interested in (perhaps some UC's since I'm guessing you're from California) to ask what their policies are regarding this.

Is this really as widespread as you make it seem? Does anyone have specific examples of schools that don't accept pre-med courses from community colleges?
 

lulubean

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
410
Reaction score
0
Aside from grades, I think it is really important to have extracurriculars that distinguish you from other people. Good luck!
 
Joined
Apr 16, 2004
Messages
712
Reaction score
12
Neuronix said:
Is this really as widespread as you make it seem? Does anyone have specific examples of schools that don't accept pre-med courses from community colleges?
Just some examples (it looks like it's more highly recommended than required, and there are also several schools that don't mention community colleges at all):

VCU:"Are community college classes accepted as prerequisite course credit?
They may be; but the Admissions Committee generally expects students to complete all prerequisite courses at a 4-year undergraduate institution."

UCSD:"It is recommended that students take their course of study in the most demanding curricular environment possible. Whenever possible, the Admissions Committee prefers that prerequisite courses be completed at an approved four-year institution."

UC Davis: "If you complete all of your premedical requirements at community college, it may be in your best interests to take several upper-division science classes at the 4-year institution to which you transfer. Performing well in upper division science courses further demonstrates your ability to handle the rigorous science-based coursework found in medical school. Therefore, if you are not a science major, it may still be important for you to take additional science courses beyond the minimum requirements to further support application to medical school."
 

MohMan

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Hey thanks for the responses...really appreciate it. I think for UCLA and UCBerkley, Im going to have to take Ochem again because thats what a councelor told me...but as for physics, The Geffin Medschool Rep told me UCLA's med "prefers" it being taken at UCLA, but if the MCATs show that I know it welle nough, then there shouldnt be a problem. And Bio....UCLA requires 4 "Life Science" courses (1, 2, 3, 4). 1, 2, and 3 are offered at the college I go to, and the last one isnt (Genetics) so Im going to have to take that at LA.
Reality is--I think--if one does well in the classes, I dont seem to know why they wouldnt accept them?

Also, right now the only extracurricular thing I have going on is volunteering at a clinic...but its pretty intense (for a vbolunteer program) since I get to perform IV's, Vision and Hearing and shadow a physician. Once summer rolls around, Im goin to get an internship in a research program....what more do medschools want?

And someones recently told me that Molec Bio is one of the hardest (if not the hardest next to biochem) bio major.....that really true?
 

Fermata

Hold me.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2003
Messages
6,617
Reaction score
13
MohMan said:
And someones recently told me that Molec Bio is one of the hardest (if not the hardest next to biochem) bio major.....that really true?

Yes.
 

nomo15

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
MohMan said:
And someones recently told me that Molec Bio is one of the hardest (if not the hardest next to biochem) bio major.....that really true?

It's not true...Molecular, Cell and Developmental Bio (MCDB) at UCLA right? It's not super easy, but there are harder bio majors I would say. Biochem, MIMG, Neurosci maybe...Physiological Sciences is supposed to be super competitive...MCDB is probably a good choice :thumbup:
 

MohMan

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
nomo, thats the one.....I was gonna do MIMG but I heard theres barely any genetics based in it although it has GENETICS in the name...and i aslo thought MCDB would have better research opportunities since thats whats been up lately...
 

nomo15

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
MohMan said:
nomo, thats the one.....I was gonna do MIMG but I heard theres barely any genetics based in it although it has GENETICS in the name...and i aslo thought MCDB would have better research opportunities since thats whats been up lately...


I'm actually MIMG - it's kinda tough, and that's true about Genetics - I picked it because of the word Genetics in the title too, and few classes are really focused on genetics, but there's still some interesting stuff after boring 101 (bacteriology).

Research wise actually MIMG has the most, because they have Genetics research (which is what I'm in), Immunology research, Virology research, Bacteriology research, Parasitology research...I think I read somewhere that MIMG gets more research dollars than any dept at UCLA
 

Fermata

Hold me.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2003
Messages
6,617
Reaction score
13
nomo15 said:
I'm actually MIMG - it's kinda tough, and that's true about Genetics - I picked it because of the word Genetics in the title too, and few classes are really focused on genetics, but there's still some interesting stuff after boring 101 (bacteriology).

Research wise actually MIMG has the most, because they have Genetics research (which is what I'm in), Immunology research, Virology research, Bacteriology research, Parasitology research...I think I read somewhere that MIMG gets more research dollars than any dept at UCLA

What's the immuno and virology stuff like?
 

nomo15

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Fermata said:
Research-wise I mean.


don't know too much about immuno research actually, sorry...virology research here - i've seen ppl work on polio, on herpes, of course HIV, i think HPV
 

Fermata

Hold me.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2003
Messages
6,617
Reaction score
13
nomo15 said:
don't know too much about immuno research actually, sorry...virology research here - i've seen ppl work on polio, on herpes, of course HIV, i think HPV

Danke.
 
Top