Need Clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InHIShand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused about the clinical hours. I have read a few threads that suggest volunteering in environments that allow heavy patient contact. Several local pre-meds and I work for a company that provides First Aid/Emergency stations at various events (i.e. concerts, competitions, special olympics, etc.). We encounter a wide array of problems from heat strokes to lacerations, etc. Even had to perform CPR. So, do I need to go find additional "clinical" hours and volunteer at a hospital or should these hours be enough?

Your response is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally that's great experience, easily mine-able for PS nuggets. But I'd like to see you add a few hours in a more structured clinical environment, such as a hospital, where you can be exposed to administrative overhead, how things get paid for, and interactions between various staff in a more day-to-day pace. There are a TON of rules to follow and that's something you should have a feel for. There's a med student stereotype of being deeply offended and insulted by the rules, once rotations start, which is very tiresome to those who are used to it. Like your app reviewers are.

Best of luck to you.

Generally that's great experience, easily mine-able for PS nuggets. But I'd like to see you add a few hours in a more structured clinical environment, such as a hospital, where you can be exposed to administrative overhead, how things get paid for, and interactions between various staff in a more day-to-day pace. There are a TON of rules to follow and that's something you should have a feel for. There's a med student stereotype of being deeply offended and insulted by the rules, once rotations start, which is very tiresome to those who are used to it. Like your app reviewers are.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for the response. Your reply was very accurate and sure cleared things up for me. I am currently a volunteer at an oncology clinic as well, eventhough it's affiliated with THE hospital ( where I plan on attending med-school), I think I need to heed your advice and go volunteer at the hospital.

Thanks again!