Need constructive criticism...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FaithNoMore

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I am nearing towards 29 and have a bachelor and master degree, none which are related to medicine. Initially I wanted to go to medical school but after a year I dropped out because I was unfocused and wanted to do something easier. I graduated in 2015 and I work now at a job where I feel undervalued and unappreciated. Ive been thinking for a year now about going back to school and I feel more mentally prepared now. What options do I have at this point if I did want to become a doctor?

Please just give me constructive criticism. I feel horrible as it is that I haven't accomplished much in my life. I want to restart my college career because the degrees I have obtained have not been fulfilling.
 
Were you in medical school for 1 year before dropping out, or were you pre-med for 1 year before switching majors?
 
Were you in medical school for 1 year before dropping out, or were you pre-med for 1 year before switching majors?
Sorry should have been more clear...I did a year in premed completing chem I and lab, biology II, and some other prequisites. I ended up switching majors my second year when I turned 20 because I was so unfocused at the time and wanted something easier.

I just want to know what I have to do to prepare for MCAT at this point. I realize I would need to take post bac program for 2 years before even thinking of taking it. There's a lot of life changes I want to make and this may be my last opportunity to get help from my dad if I wanted to go back to school.

If not being a doctor, I want to do something meaningful that I'd enjoy and feel positive about doing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry should have been more clear...I did a year in premed completing chem I and lab, biology II, and some other prequisites. I ended up switching majors my second year when I turned 20 because I was so unfocused at the time and wanted something easier.

I just want to know what I have to do to prepare for MCAT at this point. I realize I would need to take post bac program for 2 years before even thinking of taking it. There's a lot of life changes I want to make and this may be my last opportunity to get help from my dad if I wanted to go back to school.

If not being a doctor, I want to do something meaningful that I'd enjoy and feel positive about doing.

If you have a strong GPA, then you could be competitive for some of the career changer post-bacs. Some of these are great programs that may even have linkages to medical schools, and will have a formal program to help you with the MCAT.

If your GPA from college wasn't so great, then don't be afraid to just enroll in a local state university and take your pre-med prereqs. Advice that others have given regarding this plan is to apply as a degree seeking student, even if you don't intend to get another formal degree - that way you will have priority for selecting classes, etc.

One of my friends in my SMP was in your shoes. He ended taking his pre-reqs at a community college (he got ~3.8+ in those courses), then did an SMP. In his early 30's he received a full-ride scholarship to a top US medical school. That is another approach that you could consider.

If you start now, enroll starting next semester, you could have your pre-med pre-reqs and MCAT done and ready to apply to medical school in 2-3 years. Luckily for you, your science GPA is a blank slate basically, so you could end up with a high MCAT, high science GPA, and if you start volunteering now, some stellar EC's. But come back to us in about a year and a half, after you've taken the premed prereqs. Most students spend 4-8 weeks preparing for the MCAT, so you have some time before you start thinking about that.

Good luck!