Need Direction Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted92121

I am a 22 y/o college kid who plans on graduating at the age of 23 with a BS in Psychology from Univ. of Pitt. My grades in Psych are mostly A's and B's. I have no membership in the psych honor society or volunteer/shadowing of a psychologist.

I was/am a pre-med major but recently it came to my attention that I don't care all that much about the advanced workings of the body. Don't get me wrong, I am also a soon-to-be Paramedic and love medicine. But I think that I would much rather stay heavily involved in EMS with teaching and practicing as a medic. However, I don't want it to be my career.

I am interested in a career as a clinical psychologist (Psy.D not Ph.D) b/c I have little to no interest in doing research myself. I would like to focus on the medical-biology part if all possible.

Can someone help me start heading towards a path that I would be well suited for.

dxu

Members don't see this ad.

I had a similar situation with different focus points (public health/education policy background) and I was able to find a few PsyD programs that complimented my interests. After months of research, I found one that suited me best, applied, and made it to the top of the wait list. Sadly, it was a program where I was told no one had ever made it off the wait list. ha

I would hesitate to say what subfield might best suit you b/c I think that the research area of the program (even if it's PsyD, those profs typically still do research and have focus areas) would matter more than the stated subfield as long as it's clinical in nature.

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm way tired, don't have many neurons working to make this coherent...

I would ask you to clarify which aspects of health interest you...

- overall wellness
- mind/body connection
- prevention
- actual physiological manifestations of psychological disorders
- chronic illness and its impact on psych wellbeing
- acute illness and its impact on psych wellbeing

I hope that didn't confuse you... I'll let you know if I come across anything particular as I'm doing my searching...