Need ECC help too :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeagius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA 3.61 sGPA 3.83, haven't taken MCAT yet.

So I feel that I am very involved in my ECC's but few are volunteer/clinical based. Will that hurt me greatly in the end or will my other ECC's balance that out? I love getting involved on campus and feel that I don't have time to get more hours in places where they're needed.

ECC's
GVSU Student Senate - Public Relations Committee
- Union High School Chair
Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity
- Activities Chair
- Greek 101 Facilitator
Gamma Sigma Alpha (Greek Academic Honors Society)
Dance Troupe
- Choreographer
Alternative Breaks
Pre - Med Club
Work in Chemistry Stockroom (Refill chemicals and set up labs for class/research)

Volunteer/Clinical
30 hours - Shadowing (Trauma 1 ER)
25 hours - Clinical Experience during CNA Training
~100 Volunteer (Pre-school/Food Shelter/on Campus)

I see most people have research and hospital volunteer hours too. Should I try and get some or does it look fine having campus involvement.

Just chekin'
Thanks for all the help I've been looking at these forums for hours:)

Members don't see this ad.

About 60% of those applying have research as an activity, so it is not essential. But clinical experience in addition to shadowing is absolutely needed. If you could get a job as a CNA, that would help you. [I have to point out that your clinical experience during CNA training was "curricular" not extracurricular (outside of the classroom), and shouldn't be listed separately since it is on your transcript already.] Clinical experience can also be gained through a clinical research experience where you are working directly with patients to get data. Most get their clinical experience through volunteering, but it need not be in a hospital. Also consider nursing homes, clinics (private practice, free clinic, family-planning clinic), VA hospitals, hospice, etc. Ideally, you'll have at least a year of clinical experience when you apply, or as close to that as possible. Most have more.

About 60% of those applying have research as an activity, so it is not essential. But clinical experience in addition to shadowing is absolutely needed. If you could get a job as a CNA, that would help you. [I have to point out that your clinical experience during CNA training was "curricular" not extracurricular (outside of the classroom), and shouldn't be listed separately since it is on your transcript already.] Clinical experience can also be gained through a clinical research experience where you are working directly with patients to get data. Most get their clinical experience through volunteering, but it need not be in a hospital. Also consider nursing homes, clinics (private practice, free clinic, family-planning clinic), VA hospitals, hospice, etc. Ideally, you'll have at least a year of clinical experience when you apply, or as close to that as possible. Most have more.

Would working as a Transporter suffice as clinical training rather than being CNA or EMT-Basic?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would working as a Transporter suffice as clinical training rather than being CNA or EMT-Basic?

Are you at least partially responsible for the clinical outcomes of patients as a "transporter"?

If you are caring for pts in any way and responsible to a physician (either directly or indirectly), then sure, but many "transport" jobs are nothing more than a chauffeuring service and that's definitely not clinical experience per Lizzy M or any other school admin I've spoken with.

In general, I would say yes, but I'd call it clinical experience or exposure. You are interacting with the patient (unless they are sleeping or unconscious). You are keeping them safe and comfortable, looking after their well-being while they transfer to a new location within the hospital where they need to be. You are responsible for any problems that occur on the way. I did a fair amount of transporting in my day, and it beats feeding a patient, filling their water jug, or changing their TV channel in terms of taking responisbility.

In general, I would say yes, but I'd call it clinical experience or exposure. You are interacting with the patient (unless they are sleeping or unconscious). You are keeping them safe and comfortable, looking after their well-being while they transfer to a new location within the hospital where they need to be. You are responsible for any problems that occur on the way. I did a fair amount of transporting in my day, and it beats feeding a patient, filling their water jug, or changing their TV channel in terms of taking responisbility.

Thanks, I am currently only a E.R. Volunteer however I was contemplating on finding a position as a Transporter soon or wait till next summer and take a CNA or EMT-Basic course and work as a E.R. tech or whatever position I can find. Any adivise would be greatly appreciated

Are you at least partially responsible for the clinical outcomes of patients as a "transporter"?

If you are caring for pts in any way and responsible to a physician (either directly or indirectly), then sure, but many "transport" jobs are nothing more than a chauffeuring service and that's definitely not clinical experience per Lizzy M or any other school admin I've spoken with.

My definition is a question, "Have you smelled patients?" You can certainly have that level of "up close" experience as a transporter.

I had the opportunity to be on the receiving end of a transporter's services earlier this year and I noted that it requies picking up on patients' cues, attending to details so that the patient is moved safely and without inflicting more pain (watch that you don't run someone's damaged limb into a wall), and that you go the extra mile (really just an extra 60 feet) to finish the job even if it means some discomfort on your part (minus 20 degrees anyone?)

You can certainly learn how to interact with patients to make them safe and comfortable and practice the sacrifice your own comfort while working as a transporter. I wouldn't suggest it as the only clinical exposure but it is a perfectly reasonable job or volunteer gig.

Lizzy, I may very well be wrong but didn't you mention something about transportation not really being good as the only clinical experience one has? I did not mean it wasn't a good experience to have, simply that I did not believe it would suffice well alone. On the other hand, if someone doing transport is having to be aware of a lot of patient cues, etc., then I would suspect they have at least something to do with a patient's outcome. To me, it seems akin to the difference between an EMT-B who actually does clinical work in the back and someone who acts solely as an ambulance driver or is driving the shuttle at the hospital (both great jobs but are they clinical experience?).

Another admissions chair I spoke with also stated that it is necessary to have had actual responsibility for the outcome of patients. Would you agree with this?

Lizzy, I may very well be wrong but didn't you mention something about transportation not really being good as the only clinical experience one has? I did not mean it wasn't a good experience to have, simply that I did not believe it would suffice well alone. On the other hand, if someone doing transport is having to be aware of a lot of patient cues, etc., then I would suspect they have at least something to do with a patient's outcome. To me, it seems akin to the difference between an EMT-B who actually does clinical work in the back and someone who acts solely as an ambulance driver or is driving the shuttle at the hospital (both great jobs but are they clinical experience?).

Another admissions chair I spoke with also stated that it is necessary to have had actual responsibility for the outcome of patients. Would you agree with this?

First: in quoting me you did not add the modifier "only". I would concur that if the only thing one's done is transporting then additional exposure to medical care is needed (shadowing, other volunteering or employment).

Second: we seem to be confusing two different jobs. Transportation within the hospital is patient-centered 100%. Being an ambulance driver doing transport means spending the bulk of one's time with eyes on the road, minding traffic signals and so forth and not up-close with the patient.